PDA

View Full Version : Eating Problem

stevie
Wed Nov 24, 2010, 08:39 AM
Hello,

I bought 4 discus about 10 days ago. I fed them dried food and 2 of them are ok with dried food. The other two really refused to eat. After seven days of not eating, I fed them frozen blood worm. One of them ate the blood worm and the other one ate but spit it out. I am really worried about this fish. It looks totally fine, beautiful color, fins are fine, always fends off other fish but the thing is, after 10 days of not eating, its belly still looks full. It doesn't look thin. What do you think is the problem?

Thanks.

boxters
Wed Nov 24, 2010, 10:03 AM
the problem is buying fish that are not eating. When buying discus from a store always ask them to feed the fish so you can see them eat. if they refuse you know the fish are sick. if you want happy healthy fish you need to start with happy healthy fish. On a positive not, sometimes Discus will not eat for upto 4 weeks when introduced to a new environment

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Nov 24, 2010, 11:48 AM
I have had fish that ate right away and i have had fish that were in perfect health but didnt eat for weeks. Remember that Discus are big sooky sooky la las. If you get worried that they havent eaten in a while try some live black worms. Freeze dried black worms are also great and will teach them to feed from your hand.

boxters
Wed Nov 24, 2010, 08:54 PM
IMO black worms is looking for trouble, they carry all sorts of parasites

stevie
Mon Nov 29, 2010, 12:02 PM
One of the 2 non-eating fish is eating dried food now. One more to go... finger crossed ;)

stevie
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 01:23 PM
One of the 2 non-eating fish is eating dried food now. One more to go... finger crossed ;)

all of them are eating dried food now... Yay :)

goodoo
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 02:11 PM
Well done stevie. It is such a relief. I have learnt now That discus are like girlfriends. DO NOT PANDER TO THEM. It only makes it harder in the long run. I have learnt this the hard way, in both ways. I used to give my new arrivals live shrimp, live worms earth and aquatic. And eggs hollandaise well the last one was a joke. Now they just starve untill they eat dry food. then I give them good stuff. And ladys Im sorry for my sexist comments the same applies to di@k heads like me. :D

Hollowman
Tue Dec 14, 2010, 06:17 PM
IMO black worms is looking for trouble, they carry all sorts of parasites
Some do, some don't.

Never feed tubifex as they grow in stagnent dirty water.

Mal's Aussie Black Worms are great (freeze dried)
Even live black worms are fine (or lesser risk) as the grow in very clean water.