PDA

View Full Version : sydney's hard water

giorid
Thu Nov 18, 2010, 04:16 AM
Hi everyone,
just wondering if anybody has noticed if the water in sydney has been getting harder lately, I live in the rockdale municipality and are having problems getting the ph of the tap water below 7, never had this problem before. :?

ILLUSN
Thu Nov 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
leave it for a day or 2 and it will drop the kh isn't that high

giorid
Sun Nov 21, 2010, 09:37 AM
[bTtHANKS BUT I'VE TRIED DOING THAT AND IT DIDN'T WORK SO I DECIDED TO USE SEACHEM ACID BUFFER AND OR DISCUS BUFFER AND I HAVE TO USE SO MUCH IN ORDER TO LOWER THE PH THAT IT'S NOT FUNNY, IS THERE A CHEAPER WAY, ANYONE THANKS.[/b]

Hollowman
Sun Nov 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
please DONT SHOUT AT US (cap locks off)

The main thing to remember is that as long as your water is stable, dont mess with it. So what that it is over 7, no big deal. I have had mine at nearly 8 before, and they were fine. Stability is what you are looking for, I sometimes use Almond leaves to lower it a little, but never use acids, too much trouble when you are changing so much water a couple of times a week.

Alternatively, get an ro system

boxters
Sun Nov 21, 2010, 11:00 AM
i dont think you need ro. i use a di unit which is a 2 stage system with a sediment prefilter and a carbon resin. this will lower your tds and soften the water.

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:05 PM
Can you please post some specs of your setup?

substarte stocking level filteration etc.

I did a 90% water change today on Dad's discus tank(he's overseas) when i filled the aging drum (400L tank yesterday 9pm) it was 7.6 this morning it had dropped to 6.8 (filtered through matrix and fine floss via a 2213 overnight heated to 29C) in dads bare bottom tank with just a chunk of dream wood it settled out at 6.2(digital test)-6.5(hagen low range pH kit this is the usuall pH of Dad's tank).

its specs are...
4x2x18tall bare bottom 310L 1x massive dreamwood.
Filtration: eheim 2217, and eheim 2228, filter media is eheim substrate pro in both filters white floss and eheim mech ceramic noodles.
Heated to 30C via old school jager 300w (super old green type from the 80's)
Fish: my old A grade discus 8 in total 8-10 inch with tails

It gets 50% water change every 48hrs and a 90% change once a week.

I checked the kh and its 3~4 degrees.
in my L number tanks 1 tbs of discus buffer/100L drops the pH to 5.8

I'm in Penrith, the water comes from prospect res (same as most of Sydney), I dont understand how you can have super hard water the kH is just too low.

giorid
Sun Nov 21, 2010, 12:50 PM
Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to shout I guess I lost my cool due to frustration, anyway getting back to the discussion topic, all I can say is that the water board must be doing something to our water supply in this area because the ph used to be around 7 and now it seems to be around 8 and it is very resistant to ph change, I even tried peat in the change water and all it did wasto change the colour of the water, it looks like I will need to resort to connecting an ro unit to get the ph correct :roll: .