PDA

View Full Version : Automated Fish Feeders

rburrowes
Wed Nov 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Just a quick one, wondering whether anyone has had any good experiences with automated fish feeders and they brands they used.

I'm planning on going away for about 5-6 weeks and I need a feeder that will accomodate by discus and my L168s

Been doing a bit of reading on the topic, thought that I would put the question out there.

Cheers

Rob

mcloughlin2
Wed Nov 17, 2010, 11:44 AM
Eheims are usually very reliable. I'd stay well clear of any cheaper or less well known brands. They are a recipe for disaster.

awilianto
Wed Nov 17, 2010, 01:07 PM
I use eheim and they do the job quite good. However, they are only good for pellets and not flake. If you put a new battery, they should last a good 5 months or so.

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 17, 2010, 10:21 PM
Eheim is the way to go, but a word of caution, test on your tank for several weeks before you go.

Six weeks without a waterchange is a very long time for discus.

ILLUSN
Wed Nov 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
my auto fish feeders ended up full of baby cockroaches. I'd just have a mate come feed the fish twice a week while your away just as much as they eat in 2 minutes.

rburrowes
Thu Nov 18, 2010, 05:06 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the advise.

The more I think about it the more I think I will take Illusn up on his advise.

Cheers

Rob

rburrowes
Tue Dec 21, 2010, 06:06 AM
Got back from my 6 week holiday. I setup a eheim automated feeder just in case my mate wasn't able to get around.

Just as well it turns out my mate lost the key within the first week. Not impressed.

Anyway I came back to expect all my discus and L168s to have had a mass extinction, but to my suprise, half the water in the tanks had evaporated.

But the good note was all my fish were really really happy and healthy, a couple of the discus had paired up and had rigglers and a couple of L168s were fanning.

Just thought I would put the positive note out there.

Cheers

Rob

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 21, 2010, 11:23 AM
AWESOME MATE glad it was a happy ending.

swampy1972
Wed Dec 22, 2010, 07:09 AM
Great outcome.. Congrats on the fry!!