PDA

View Full Version : New to Discus

olliesshop
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hello all !!!

I've been in the aquarium hobby for years. But now that I'm newly retired I'm seriously thinking about getting into Discus. I used to breed may different types of Cichlids, but never moved up to Discus. Now, since I have the time and money, I was hoping it would be a wise and successful choice. I haven't bought any equipment or fish yet ... just doing tons of research on the net. I joined this forum to learn all about Discus raising and breeding. So I'm sure over time I'll learn enough and feel comfortable enough to take the plunge and get my tank(s) and get cracking.

Thanks in advance for any help you all may lend. :D

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 09:11 AM
Hello

I think a welcome should be the first thing we extend to you! You are doing the right thing, plenty of research, then a good cycled tank before you purchase your fish.
You can even get your fish here with our sponsors at great prices.

Good luck I have never tired of my discus, they are a true pet.

Cheers Kath

boxters
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 09:19 AM
Hi Tim

Welcome aboard. If you need any assistance please feel free to ask

olliesshop
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the welcomes. I look forward to learning more and more about these wonderful fish ... this site, and the plethora on the internet, should hopefully be enough to get me going.

Also, is it worth getting a book/bible on how to own/raise/spawn Discus? if so, what would be a good one? Or are there a few trusted good websites/links I should focus on?

Thanks again !!! :D :newbie

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
If your into books then the 2 Andrew Soh have written are worth a read, just google his name.

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Tim.

With your experience you won't have any trouble with discus.

What's your water like in Michigan. Discus prefer softer water so you may need to invest in an RO unit.

olliesshop
Tue Nov 16, 2010, 06:28 PM
Welcome to the forum Tim.

With your experience you won't have any trouble with discus.

What's your water like in Michigan. Discus prefer softer water so you may need to invest in an RO unit.

We already had a RO unit, but it's pretty old and it may be time to get a new one. Is there any brand that folks recommend that's best for aquarium water changes? With regard to Michigan water, I'm not sure yet, but that's a very good question ... I really need to understand our tap water situation to determine how difficult the water changes will be.

Bob Daniel
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 02:07 AM
I am starting up again after a long absence. I first got a freshwater mater test kit and a water hardness test kit.
i wanted to get a feel for the water coming out the tap and what it does pH wise after aereation. I too have an RO but since I am not breeding at this point, the water seems okay out of the tap. I do have some Prime as insurance. I will age the water if I can get some reliable holding vessels.

Hooked
Wed Aug 15, 2012, 04:56 AM
Hi Tim!

Welcome mate. They are a very helpful and friendly bunch here. I've only been into Discus for a little over a year and have found this site to be second to none. All the very best,

Cheers