PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy white sand from??

axl
Tue Nov 09, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hey,
i am planning my 5ft tank and want to know where can you buy white white sand from. Previously i have used pool filter sand but want something that is whiter than filter sand.

cheers Axl

angmat80
Wed Nov 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
not sure where u are located but I have used kids white play sand & got it from my local hardware & garden store ( bunnings)

silkieboy
Thu Nov 18, 2010, 01:01 AM
Amazing Amazon in Glen Waverly stocked them last time i was there. But it might be too far from where you are.

Maybe ask around your LFS to see if they can do a special order for you if they don't stock it already.

goodoo
Mon Nov 22, 2010, 03:35 AM
I used kids play sand. I had to wash the real fine stuff out, and all the clay but it looks stunning. Next time I think ill use a sieve.

teaio
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:34 AM
how did you wash the sand? im just curious to know. I got gravel and regret it bad..

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:42 AM
I use a 10l bucket. I fill it to around 25% sand and rinse it under the tap for maybe 10 minutes or so. Constantly stir and turn it until the water stays clear.

It takes a while but if you dont rinse it properly you will regret it.

I once rinsed 60Kg of sand......in the middle of winter.......outside........at night........;)

teaio
Fri Dec 03, 2010, 05:55 AM
lmao.. I done the same thing with gravel for my guppy tank! will never do that again! bloody to cold!

There is a "cheap" warehouse pet supplies in hallam, its a big pets paradise factory, they have heaps of stuff, don't know about sand tho.. they have heaps of different types of filters tho lol..