PDA

View Full Version : Otto Fluidized bed filter - info anyone?

Mr Wild
Sun Oct 31, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi all

Before anyone suggests I read Jothy DYI bed filter - I have

I am not a DYI person so Otto looks good to me BUT How do I get the water from the tank to the bed filter?

I have 2 5x2x2 tanks with angels that are about the size of a 5-10cent piece. I know I will need a pump but that is where i get lost.

I do not want to have so much suction that these guys get sucked up but I do need more filtration as at present all that is in there are 2 large sponge filters.
Also I do not want the return flow to be slamming them against the opposite wall either.

So for a 5x2x2 as described above what size pump will I need and how should I attach it?

ILLUSN
Fri Dec 17, 2010, 08:54 PM
fbf need low flowrates so current wont be a problem the otto will want no more than 500l/h.

get a small pump something like an eheim compact 600 and use that.

my advice is to put the pump in a small container like a tiny lunchbox or tuperware container, fill it with something to make it sink (i use matrix or corse ceramic noodles) and cover the top with filterfloss(just make a hole for the hose to come out the top) hold it in place with thick rubberbands or cableties.

FBF's have 0 mech filtration capacity, by pre filtering it through this box you sand will stay cleaner for longer.

I'll be using an FBF similar to an otto (but much cheeper) on my new geo tank, it will be hooked up to an experimental topfilter/denitrator sump.

Mr Wild
Sat Dec 18, 2010, 01:18 AM
Thanks Jothy it is still a WIP.

ILLUSN
Sat Dec 18, 2010, 08:28 AM
lol i'll race you lets see who's system is up and running first :)