PDA

View Full Version : Apistogramma trio or pair?

ardbeg
Fri Oct 29, 2010, 01:21 AM
Hi all

Newbie here, and Iv got a question for all the Apisto experts out there - what success have you had with keeping a trio (1m 2f).

I understand there are ALOT of variables that can go into this (species, tank size, tank mates etc etc) but Im keen to here what experiences people have had with a trio.

Did they get along fine, or did the sub-dom female usually get beaten up?

Thanks a lot for you time.

Hassles
Fri Oct 29, 2010, 04:14 AM
Hi all

Newbie here, and Iv got a question for all the Apisto experts out there - what success have you had with keeping a trio (1m 2f).

I understand there are ALOT of variables that can go into this (species, tank size, tank mates etc etc) but Im keen to here what experiences people have had with a trio.

Did they get along fine, or did the sub-dom female usually get beaten up?

Thanks a lot for you time.

Keeping a trio of most Apistogramma is fine providing adequate space is provided and that within that space an adequate array of rocks, plants & driftwood exist. Its as simple as that. Many Apisto breeders breed in standard 2 foot tanks and will usually opt for pairs in such confined quarters and then they will seperate them once fry emerge. I have only successfully kept / bred A.abacaxis as a trio in a 2 footer, all other species were kept as pairs OR in larger tanks. Personally I would suiggest a 3 footer as minimum to maximisew your chances OR literally stuff the tank chock full of stuff so all fish my easily hide if they need or desire to.

take care

ardbeg
Fri Oct 29, 2010, 05:34 AM
Thankyou for the advice Hassles. You confirmed what I thought, with enough room and hidey holes all should be fine, generally.

I have a 3ft which is heavily loaded with branches, driftwood and ketapang leaves - its more of a biotope/themed display tank. I have 10 corys and 6 tetras so its quite busy, and have just added a trio of aggies. My post has stemmed from the fact that within a few days of the aggies being introduced a definite pair seems to have formed, with the latter paying some undesired attention to the sub-dom female. A little following and chasing has been going on. I'll be monitoring the behaviour very closely, but I just wanted to get the advice from others like yourself of how the scenario might play out. Maybe I am expecting too much as the fish have only been in the tank a few days?

Hassles
Fri Oct 29, 2010, 11:01 AM
Thankyou for the advice Hassles. You confirmed what I thought, with enough room and hidey holes all should be fine, generally.

I have a 3ft which is heavily loaded with branches, driftwood and ketapang leaves - its more of a biotope/themed display tank. I have 10 corys and 6 tetras so its quite busy, and have just added a trio of aggies. My post has stemmed from the fact that within a few days of the aggies being introduced a definite pair seems to have formed, with the latter paying some undesired attention to the sub-dom female. A little following and chasing has been going on. I'll be monitoring the behaviour very closely, but I just wanted to get the advice from others like yourself of how the scenario might play out. Maybe I am expecting too much as the fish have only been in the tank a few days?

You need to factor into the equation the individual characteristics of the individual fish. Not all males will happily service a pair of willing females - however once he breeds with one and finds himself shunned, his attitude may change. Are you sure you have two females ?

ardbeg
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 03:18 AM
Good point, yep the little buggers can still have their own personalities, but thats what makes it fun I suppose. If there is a male in there posing as a female well he's doing a great job. I have tried to upload some pics with no success (file size and type are correct). Will try again later to see what you think of them.

Hassles
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 05:55 AM
Good point, yep the little buggers can still have their own personalities, but thats what makes it fun I suppose. If there is a male in there posing as a female well he's doing a great job. I have tried to upload some pics with no success (file size and type are correct). Will try again later to see what you think of them.

there are a number of us who can no longer upload images so its not a problem at your end.

take care

ardbeg
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 06:36 AM
ah ok, thats useful information. my blood presssure was slowly rising trying to get it to work :evil:

aggies seem to be settling down. one female up each end of the tank, male roams around middle space, checking on each female from time to time. will see how it goes but looking ok. first time iv had apistos so you can only research so much before you have to take the plunge and give it go.

Silkjc
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 10:41 AM
Trying using imageshack or photobucket to host the images off site and link to them. Goodluck!

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 09:02 PM
We are working on the photo uploading problems with our server, I promise. Should be fixed soon.