PDA

View Full Version : Microworms

Apistoguy
Thu Oct 28, 2010, 06:12 AM
Hi everyone

Just letting forum members know that I have found a LFS in western sydney that sells mature microworm cultures and other live foods.

I purchased a mature culture 3 days ago for my apisto fry and they love it, they swarm to them and gobble them up frantically.

I did the usual ringing around all the LFS and finally found a place called Aquadiso @ Greystanes. So my searching high and low has finally come to an end. HOORAY !

cheers

goodoo
Thu Oct 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
well done, sounds like the kind of mission that involved lots of fossil fuels and phone calls . My favourite.

Apistoguy
Thu Oct 28, 2010, 11:10 PM
well done, sounds like the kind of mission that involved lots of fossil fuels and phone calls . My favourite.

You hit the nail right on the head he he.

Aquadiso also do mail orders for live food which is handy for those not living nearby.

goodoo
Fri Oct 29, 2010, 02:13 PM
I just found a microworm culture in the cupboard bellow were my microwave should be. I won it in a raffle about a month or more ago. You can see them climbing the sides, Im pretty shore its just baby food and water pretty easy to make .

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 08:59 PM
Baby cereal (from the supermarket) is usually the medium used for growing microworms.

Start a new culture as soon as the old one begins to stink by mixing some baby cereal with water and seeding it with the worms already climbing the walls in the old container. Just run your damp finger around the sides to pick up the worms, and put them in the new container.

In a week or so, they will breed and grow, and begin climbing the walls of the container, then they're ready to harvest and feed to your fry.

I keep two containers on the go, in old margarine containers with some air holes in the lid, just in case one crashes and goes stinky. Keep making new cultures every couple of weeks to keep them fresh. It's ideal first food for all kinds of fry.