PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's advice

Thomas_Swell
Sun Oct 24, 2010, 03:44 AM
Hi guys first post here (hopefully i'll become somewhat regular) Anyway i've been trolling around this forum for a bit now and it seems awesome especially because a lot fo people are here in Australia.

Anyway i've currently got a nice setup going but the fish aren't mixing nicely and are attacking each other. I've decided i'll take them back to my lfs and convert the tank to a discus tank.
I've been reading up on lots of information and after i give the tank a good clean out nd set ip up properly for discus it think it'll be pretty good, i've got strong enough heaters and filters and lights and adequate aeration.

I think most of my parameters are suitable and they certainly will be once i get tinkering.

Anyway my main thoughts at the moment are introducing a small school of about 10 or so cardinals, a couple of bristlenoses and 2 or 4 discus's
My tank is 120 litres and has a fair amount of plants growing but i'm going to buy some more.
Anyway i was wondering if this setup would be ok and do any of you people know of a good aquarium ot buy Discus form in the Sydney area? Up until now i've mainly bought my fish from this place called Paul Talbot's Majestic Aquariums, its quite nice but i've been wondering if there are better sellers out there who can get me some good prices. Which is another question about how much should i be looking at for each discus if i intend to buy them when they aren't to big.

Thanks for all your help :)

Mr Wild
Sun Oct 24, 2010, 10:22 AM
Hi there and welcome

Discus require 40litres of water per fish, sure you can get away with less when they are small but when they grow what do you do? Get another tank? Also they do like some open space so you need to consider that with your layout.

So with only 120litres and plants you are looking at 2 discus it can be done and has been BDA has a pair and they get on well. But usually you would buy at 5 and let them sort their hierarchy out but you haven't the space for that.

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Oct 24, 2010, 07:10 PM
A single pair int hat tank and no more mate. Where abouts in Sydney are you?

Thomas_Swell
Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:00 PM
I'm in the Sutherland Shire happy to travel a little bit to go fidn them. And thanks for confirming my thoughts, I'll only be picking up two now.

Hollowman
Sun Oct 24, 2010, 09:40 PM
Try to make sure the 2 you buy are already paired off, or you could end up in trouble. Buy bigger fish that are mature, dont just buy 2 juvenile fish, or be sold fish that are stunted (research stunted fish), dont buy heavily peppered fish (pigeon blood strains only), PB's are fine, but must not have the black dusty look, steer clear of any like that, make sure they are bright and ask to see them being fed. Do not mix them with existing fish QT them properly (research quarentine process), Do not rely on the LFS telling you they have QT'd them, 99% dont' know how to do this. If a fish is dark, leave it well alone, if it has white poop hanging from it leave it well alone, do not buy a sick lookng fish, look for white poop on the bottom of the tank, if you see it, walk away.

Just a few pointers to help.

H

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 01:14 AM
Thanks a lot i've already read up on quarantining and the signs to look for in a good discus.

goodoo
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 04:03 AM
just get a bigger tank. My 250 litre is allready to small and I only have five discus in it.

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:12 AM
getting a bigger tank isn't an option. We have no room in our house.

goodoo
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 05:33 AM
Try to get two adults or teenagers then 10cm up. Discus like to be in groups. I have kept them apart and they seem to get depressed. But some people keep them well by themselves or in small groups even other types of fish help aswell. Get a bigger house.

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 06:36 AM
wanna buy said house for me? I doubt it, so please contribute useful information

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum.

The reason most people are suggesting a pair, is that discus fight, and in a small tank, there is nowhere for the underdog to hide. This can, and has led to deaths.

If you get an older pair who seem compatible, they're quite happy with the smaller space. They may or may not eventually breed, but the main thing is that they get along and don't fight.

Sounds like you've got everything worked out, so I think you'll be fine.

We've got a few sponsors in Sydney (check out the adverts in the classified section) You'll get a much better grade of fish, and they may even be able to help you out with choosing a pair. General LFS don't usually have the time to spend with you that a dedicated discus reseller will.

Good luck, and you know we love photos, so please post some pics of your fish when you get them :P

goodoo
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
I get some really nice fish from Rod Lewis. He has some nice fish around the size you want.
Im shore he could pick out a Stunning pair for you at normal good prices.

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:01 AM
Does this Rod Lewis have a website or can i find him in the classified section? Thanks

boxters
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:53 AM
i am in sydney and more than happy to catch up with you and help you with your set up. Please visit my website. www.marlonsdiscus.com.au

feel free to call me for any help

Hollowman
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
wanna buy said house for me? I doubt it, so please contribute useful information

Lighten up :roll: we also like a bit of fun banter here too. :wink:

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:04 AM
sorry mate its been a crap day for me. I'm a bit tense :)

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
No problems Thomas, we all have days like that.

Go have a look at some of the discus on the sponsors websites. That'll cheer you up :P

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:17 AM
where exactly can i find these, i've been having a look through the classifieds and the imported section. Anywhere i'm missing?

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:19 AM
Try this one, and I'll go looking for some more for you.

www.marlonsdiscus.com.au

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:23 AM
yer thanks i've been looking at that website. has anyone had any experience with them before? I sent them an email asking some general questions, just so they can get to know me?

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:25 AM
Excellent feedback from that website.

These guys also have great fish. Look at this thread

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21207&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
Here's another thread on fish available in Sydney

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=160473#160473

Hollowman
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
sorry mate its been a crap day for me. I'm a bit tense :)
No problems, :lol: we all have those days. :wink:

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:10 PM
Just another question are there any specific types of Discus that are easier to keep for beginners?

Hollowman
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 09:49 PM
Just another question are there any specific types of Discus that are easier to keep for beginners?

In a word 'no'

But just steer away from Albino strains right now.

All discus need the same care. This is basically, frequent large water changes, a good and varied diet, frequent large water changes, enough room to grow, a mature filter system, and frequent large water changes.

H

goodoo
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry If I sounded rude I just want to help :wink: . I think you are gonna need a bigger tank If you want to keep discus . Its a bit like having a border collie In a one bedroom apartment.

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:50 PM
i can give them them the required water changes and the varied diet and the developed filter. The only thing i'm worried about is the tank room. It's impossible for me to get a bigger tank at the moment. So if the general verdict two discus would not be a good idea, i know they like to have more in numbers, but if i can get a good pair would they mind not having any others to school with.

Thomas_Swell
Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:53 PM
another thing i have a few bristlenoses would they be ok with the Discus? as far as the higher temperature and not eating the Discus slime stuff?

goodoo
Tue Oct 26, 2010, 01:13 AM
I would recomend 4 otos. Bristlenoses shouldnt hssle your discus.

Thomas_Swell
Sat Oct 30, 2010, 09:49 AM
i think i'm moving away from discus, it seems they are best suited to larger groups and i don't have the room for this. Another query does anyone know where i can buy some shrimp in Sydney?