PDA

View Full Version : it's celebration time

lpiasente
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 04:35 AM
I can't believe it my head stander is no longer a headstander. After 2 years. I am just soo happy for her. The lump on her side is no longer there and you should see her go. I think she is just as shocked as i am .. Her balance is still not perfect and her swimming is still not quite right but the difference is amazing. I wonder if she will just keep improving.
GOOOOO SALLY x

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:52 AM
Wow. Thats great news. I wonder what the cause was and why it suddenly cleared up.

lpiasente
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 05:59 AM
I don't know. I alway's said if I was to pop that lump that she would swim upright.

bruceau
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 06:07 AM
congrats ... this is sally right?

lpiasente
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 06:10 AM
yep it is. Now maybe I can get a nice pic of her

Merrilyn
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wow that's great news. Thrilled for you :P

Hollowman
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 10:15 AM
Or ........... dare I say it, the calm before the storm :twisted: :lol:

I hope she improves Leanne, did she pass anything ?

goodoo
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 11:30 AM
that happened to a fighter of mine. I was going to say something but thought id leave it. Well done . true aussie spirit shines through.

lpiasente
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:30 PM

Nope she didn't pass anything. I did think that myself Steve that possibly this may cause another problem but this morning she is upright as bright as a button and feeing like the big piggy she is. Now she needs more simming space. Yeah I hope she improves as well Steve, thanks. It would be great if she could go into the tank the the other discus.

lpiasente
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 07:32 PM
that happened to a fighter of mine. I was going to say something but thought id leave it. Well done . true aussie spirit shines through.

Did it die?

goodoo
Wed Oct 20, 2010, 10:31 PM
No she is still alive her swim bladder came good about 4 months ago. she is about a year and a half old. This is wierd cos I saw your photo of sally a couple of days ago and I thought I bet she comes good then last night I saw your post. Awsome

lpiasente
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 07:37 PM

Steve your comments and my worst fears have come true things have gone backwards very fast. Sally is now constantlly headstanding and really having trouble balancing even to do that. She keeps rolling over. She can no longer use the filter intake to hold herself upright either. I am very concerned for her now. She still gets herself up for a feed and looks forward to that. Her colour is still great. I will just keep an eye on her. I'm a bit puzzled at what has happened. At what stage do you make a decisions that her quality if life isn't good? If she was distressed she wouldn't eat would she? Bugger bugger bugger

Hollowman
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 08:23 PM
Gosh, that's a tough one Leanne......... I can't make your mind up on that one, but if you feel that her quality of life is concerning you, then you have to be fair. Just make sure you have some clove oil in the house just for when you get too distressed at watching her struggle. Maybe for me if I saw it struggling to feed, or hold a balanced position, that would be enough for me to euthanise.

Sorry Leanne :(

lpiasente
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah my thoughts were the same.. if she couldn't feed but I wondered if I was being selfish. poor girl

Hollowman
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 09:17 PM
One other thing Leanne, the worst thing you can do is just let her die. Not only becuase she would suffer, but waking up in the morning to find a dead fish in the tank is not good for the other fish either. If the fish 'is' carrying any parasite, as soon as she dies, they will be looking for another host. Dont let this happen.
I think you know the right call, you know how to use clove oil dont you, if not just shout ok :(

lpiasente
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 10:49 PM
She is in a tank on her own so no problems there. I can see the swim bladder is swollen on both sides now where before it was only one side. The swelling went away for about a week or so but now :evil: I will give her a few more days but it doesn't look good. I don't know how to use the clove oil but I think I may have to learn.

Hollowman
Sat Nov 06, 2010, 11:15 PM
You can get Clove Oil in a chemist shop, used for toothache in humans. Fill half a bucket with tank water or fill to just over the height of the fish, and put your fish in. It will be happy in there. Get a cup of tank water and allow 4 drops of clove oil to drip in, use a spoon to stir it in, it is oil, so it needs to be mixed a little. Once mixed, slowly add to the bucket, the fish will not panic. It acts as an anethetic to the fish. Once all is added, wait for a few minutes. The fish should slow right down, watch the gills. Get another cup of water and add another 4 to 6 drops, and repeat the same process. Observe the fish carefully, by this time, the fishwill be asleep, the gills will be moving slowly, once the extra clove oil is added, it will let the fish quietly slip away. Once the gills stop, it will not be in any pain any more.

For me, this is the most dignified way of euthanaising fish. They dont struggle or panic, but pass pain free. Much better than the idea of freezing them or bashing them on a rock.
I have done this to many fish, and fry over the years, seems a nice way to end the suffering of a much loved fish.

hth Leanne

lpiasente
Sun Nov 07, 2010, 12:20 AM
Thanks Steve. I hope not to need it.