PDA

View Full Version : New to this...

liquidice79
Sat Mar 05, 2005, 11:01 PM
Hi-diddly-ho neighbourino's (obviously a Simpsons fan)

This is the first time I've posted so be gentle. I've kept tropical's for too many years to count and have decided to give Discus a go. I have a 4ftx18inx18in tank with a Via Aqua 650 canister filter running and cycling as I type.

Since I'm brand spankers to this, I need to know water parameters, temps, what is the ideal discus for someone who's never had one before, etc etc etc. I have two heaters, a 3ft bubble bar (looks very pretty) and UGF in the tank so far and 1 flouro light (which needs replacing).

I haven't adjusted pH yet.

I'm throwing our engagement party in about a month and would love to have the tank with at least a few swimmers in it. What fish are compatible with Discus? Tetras? Angels? Any or all cichlids? I'd like to put plants in also, any suggestions?

I'll no doubt think of a hundred other q's I haven't asked and will post :)

Thankya kindly!

leanne31
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:27 AM
Hi and welcome to DF :lol: Being new to discus you've come to the right place as there's always people here that can help you out.
Firstly have the temp between 28 and 30 as they like slightly warmer water than the normal tropicals. Ph is best around 6.5 but any ph as long as its stable, they dont like it to change to much and try and stay clear of the buffers if possible. Any tetra are compatible but most tend to go for cardinals over neons as they are slightly bigger I like black neons also. Most catfish are good and clown loaches are also fine but there are many more its just up to personal preference I hope that gives you a start.
Leanne

liquidice79
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 04:23 AM
Hey Leanne, thanks for the info :) I hate waiting for a tank to cyle :x

leanne31
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 04:43 AM
Waiting for a tank to cycle can definately be a pain but it is necessary. Im sure when you get there and have all your fish it will be well worth it, I was lucky when i changed to discus I already had a cycled tank from having normal tropicals so I didnt have to wait. I myself have only had discus now for 3 months, I learnt a great deal from this site and the people here so Im sure you'll get plenty more advice.

Leanne

nicholas76
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 05:59 AM
liquidice79 welcome to discus! :D

Nice size tank for starters.!

Temperature - set it at 29.

Ph - 6.9 is required ( 6.5 NO WAY ) ! 7.0 - 7.4 is safe. Remember most Australian discus come from asia, there water is nice and soft.

Utilise KH powder to buffer your water parameters to prevent KH drop.

The UGF isnt required, however you can utilise it.

Discus are best amongst themselves take into consideration of diseases and the fact that they are clumsy at eating.

tetras are good but usually end up as food. They will do ok if your tank is planted.

Some advice! - utilise a carbon filter and change every 2 weeks.

Invest within a UV light cannister if funds permit

cheers

nick

liquidice79
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 09:07 AM
Hey Nick,

Ta for the reply. Temp is now set at 29, pH will need to be adjusted it's at 6.6 currently. No idea what my water hardenss or softness is and the Sydney Water site is as useful as a bike to a fish. (Get it? OMG, I'm so funny...not) Sorry, not feeling well.

Funds for a UV are definitly NOT permitted right now, too many other thing to save for.

Must go and check water parameters again...

kalebjarrod
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:22 AM
your funnyness is not lost on us LOL

I think that rummy nose are a great asset to a Discus tank as there noses give you a great idea of waht is going on in the tank

if there nice and red, all good, dull and poor, somthings wrong

cardinals are good, but neons seem to become food as they are a bit small as the discus get big

the trick to discus keeping in my mind is

a.HEAT enough heaters for the winter months, summer is always good but wnter you may need a second or third

b.WATER check out matt's DIY thread about a simple water changer, if you make the changing of water easy you will do it more often and your fish will respond accordngly

c.FOOD vary there diet

so your 2 heaters shuld be more than fine (just check on a cold morning to be sure :wink: )

food is up to you, just vary it alot

but you may need to think about upgrading your filter to a canister or a larger HOB, undergravel will become to clogged and won't cope with the bio load after a while. they just can't cope with the amount of poo these guys and gals do in such a short time period.

Merrilyn
Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:32 AM
Hi liquidice, and a warm welcome to the forum. Exciting times ahead for you filling that 4 footer with discus. Okay, let's start you with some basics. Discus like warm, soft clean water. They are not as delicate as most people seem to think. Get things right, and your discus will show their personality, and might even spawn for you.

Most people opt for a bare bottom tank, but there is no reason why you can't have a planted tank, so long as you are prepared to do gravel vacuuming at least once a week.

Amazon sword plants are probably the most traditional in a discus tank, and look great. Java moss and java plants can also handle the high heat, but prefer low light, so plant them in the darker parts of the tank. Anubias growing on driftwood look exotic and are a good choice, and cryptocoryne species (crypts) are also beautiful and popular.

Don't play around with your water, but you need to have some kind of drum to age your water before you do your (very frequent) water changes. Test the water after it has been ages for 24 hours. That should be fine for your tank, without any alteration. You need to check your pH frequently, and if it starts to drop, you need to do another water change, or add a teaspoon of Bi carbonate of Soda to prevent it dropping any further.

Discus prefer soft water for breeding, but will live quite happily in just about any hardness, so don't stress too much.

Go to a few good aquarium shops, and have a look at the discus, to see what colours you prefer. A good place in Sydney would be SLS Aquarium, one of the sponsors of this forum. Go and introduce yourself to George or Kev, and they will look after you with inexpensive, healthy discus.

Your 4 foot tank will easily hold 6 adult discus, a few cory catfish to keep the bottom clean, and maybe a school of tetras or rasboras. And remember, we want piccies :lol:

Trebs
Mon Mar 07, 2005, 10:47 AM
Where you get your discus from will be very important. Healthy discus aren't much harder than other topicals to keep. Discus carrying parasites are a lot harder. You can never go to too many different places before you buy as quality and price vary massively across Sydney. It's really hard to recommend one place because quality varies as much from shipment to shipment as it does from shop to shop. PM me if you want my opinion on the places to see.

If you get it right you can expect your discus to be with you for quite a few years so make sure you decide exactly what you want and don't impulse buy. Be patient and don't be tempted by something that isn't exactly what you want.

I'd recommend a discus only tank for the first time keeping discus. It makes it easier to provide the best environment for them and it is a lot easier to treat if you have problems.

liquidice79
Wed Mar 09, 2005, 05:13 AM
Tanks alot guys and gals! (Ohh I'm full of bad jokes.)

I'm starting feel a lot less nervous about this. I was under impression that Discus were difficult, but it really doesn't seem that way. Looking forward to the tank finishing cycling so I can get some swimmers in there.