PDA

View Full Version : White Discharge from left Gill.

rburrowes
Thu Oct 14, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Guys,

Hoping for some help. Came home tonight to admire my Discus, then I noticed one of my super reds had white clingy discharge comming from one of his gills. Looks sort of like bubblie like.

The discus doesn't appear to be under any stress, breathing is fines, water parametres are OK as well and its sill gorging itself with food.

I've had the discus for about 8-12 months will little or no issues. It is one of the dominate fish, so I'm thinking it could be fighting. Just not sure.

Any help would be good.

Cheers

Rob

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Oct 14, 2010, 10:59 AM
Got a picture of it?

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
Is it on the outside of the gill plate, or does it appear to be coming from the gill filaments under the gill plate?

If it's on the surface of the gill plate, then it's just excess slime coat. Under the gill plate, and it's something else altogether.

Hollowman
Thu Oct 14, 2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds to me like the very fine membrane that is located just inside the gill plate. In normal fish it acts like a sort of valve, it gives the fish's breathing and pump action a bit more of a boost. I suggest that it may have (over a period of time) had an infection causing it to become damaged, and protude out from beehind the gill plate.

rex82
Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:03 PM
sounds like iodine deficiency

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
Interesting thought Rex. I don't know the symptoms of iodine deficiency, but I'm willing to learn :P

Have you experienced this in any of your fish?

rburrowes
Sat Oct 16, 2010, 03:04 AM
Sorry no pic, it was litterly gone within 20min and I havn't seen a repeat.

Everytime it used its fin, a small bit broke off and sort of disolved. Hes still running around quite happily, no obvious sign of infection, no heavy breathing.

Prior to this happening, I never see anything protruding from his gills.

I'll keep you updated if anything happens, but thanks for the thoughts

bruceau
Sat Oct 16, 2010, 01:53 PM
hey champ,

i read your thread and i happened to see this other thread...

http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20534

hows the fish coming along?

rburrowes
Tue Oct 19, 2010, 02:05 AM
He's still quite happy, still eating lots and pushing the other discus around.

It could be related to an amonia spike I had a few months ago, but he seems to be fine.

rex82
Tue Oct 19, 2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.archersdiscus.com/iodine_defic_17.html

This will explain better than I can Ladyred. I have seen it before i was informed about adding iodine to my beefheart mix.

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 19, 2010, 11:14 AM
That's a very interesting article Rex. Makes you think, doesn't it.

Many thanks for posting :P