PDA

View Full Version : 1 Dark Discus

Decapper
Mon Oct 11, 2010, 08:13 AM
It seems my tank is finally sorted after a lot of costly meds. Thanks to everyone for there help. Wish I knew about hex and symptoms so I could have treated skinny discus.. It was for the greater good I suppose ;(

Anyway on another note every discus I have seems very happy and healthy now thanks again.

There is one that is very dark for the last 2 weeks. No symptoms, eats like a horse, would take my hand off if it had teeth. Rules the tank. If it was not dark I would not think anything of it. Oh and they all have black stringy feces. Should I worry?

Mickey C
Mon Oct 11, 2010, 08:31 AM
What substrate do you have mate? I've read other reports of otherwise bright discus suddenly becoming dark when there's a dark substrate used.

*crosses fingers for you*

Decapper
Mon Oct 11, 2010, 11:52 AM
Light gravel.. He was light when I first got him... hehe.. These fish are for the birds ;)

bruceau
Mon Oct 11, 2010, 12:10 PM
i had the same sort of issue with one of mine, kept getting sick no idea why in the end he died, and the other 3 are better for it. he seemed to bring the others down and make them hide more and also darker colors.

the other 3 i have are now nice colors, accept for my yellow PB, which has peppering i have a dark substrate...

its hard to tell, lots of different reasons can make them go black, new tank they are a little scared not settled in yet, to much cover for them to hide they use it..

in the past few weeks iv taken to hand feeding my discus and they have gotten used to the new tank, its changed the way they interact with people..

because they now link people with food, they are very very active and if anyone's about they are looking at the front of the tank for food... even if you have just fed them.. greedy guts.

I know this info doesn't help, but its what iv just gone though with a tank move, they discus dont like there tanks moved about and dont like new locations... they take time to get used to it. id say give them a good 2/4 weeks before they come out of there shell..