PDA

View Full Version : Glass problems.

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 27, 2010, 01:04 PM
When I removed the plastic background from my ten foot tank, I realized that moisture had become trapped between the outside of the glass and the backing.

It's left a kind of white film on the glass, which is now very obvious with the new backing in place. I've tried to remove it with some windex, a scouring pad, and finally a razor blade scraper. Nothing. :x

Is it now etched into the glass? I can't believe it such a big problem. I mean Melbourne water is very soft, with very little mineral content, and it is just water, nothing else.

Anyone got any clues? Short of painting the back of the tank, I'm stumped.

rex82
Mon Sep 27, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Merrilyn,
what you are reffering to is waterstain on the glass. It is caused not from mineral in your water but from the mineral in your glass. there is no way of getting rid of it if it is bad. Cerium oxide works on light water stain.
HTH

Rex

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 27, 2010, 08:48 PM
Darn. :x

I thought that might be the case.

I'l try rubbing some vaseline into it and see if that disguises it, otherwise it's going to be a case of heavy planting to hide it :lol:

Thanks for the info Rex.

Tommo
Sat Oct 02, 2010, 06:37 AM
Vinegar, should do the job Red :)
Just plain old white vinegar :) and leave it for 30 min "do not be shy with the amount of vinegar either;) SLAP IT ON"
If that does not work .
A little stronger stuff might be required EG: Phosphoric acid solution

lpiasente
Sat Oct 02, 2010, 08:31 AM
I was going to say vinegar as well. I

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 02, 2010, 08:55 PM
I'll plaster some paper towel soaked in vinegar on the back of the tank, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks guys.

lpiasente
Sat Oct 02, 2010, 09:09 PM
I have used CLR to remove badly scaled glass in showers. I loaded it on and still had to use a soft scourer. It took a few goes but it did come up like new. So if the vinegar doesn't work it's another suggestion

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 02, 2010, 10:59 PM
Great. I'll get some CLR if the vinegar doesn't do the trick. Thanks. :P

Decapper
Sun Oct 03, 2010, 03:28 AM
Steel wool works a treat!

Stingray
Mon Oct 04, 2010, 11:09 AM
What is CLR ?

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 05, 2010, 01:19 AM
Ummm I think it's full name is Calcium and Lime Scale Remover.

Unfortunately nothing is working on the film on my glass. It seems to be etched into the glass, rather than sitting on the surface. Oh well, looks like lots of plants are on the agenda LOL.