PDA

View Full Version : JHQ-5500 6800lph

Ray.M
Mon Sep 13, 2010, 03:21 PM
Hi, has anyone had experience with the above pump. I need a pump that will do approximately 600l/h witha 3-3.5m head for water changes.

Guppy's thread for the pump is:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/pumps-power-heads/hqb-/-jhq-submersible-pump/cat_18.html

Can you control output with a tap & close the tap while the pump is pumping without damaging it ?

Otherwise any recommendations ?

Thanks.

ILLUSN
Mon Sep 13, 2010, 08:43 PM
most of these pumps are cheep and cheerful, any pump you reduce with a tap will put preassure on the impeller, this will shorten the life of the impeller, no big deal when the pumps are cheep. The only pump i've ever used that didn't mind a tap was an eheim 1260-1262 but your looking at 6x the price for 1/2 the flow.

This pump it will do the job for you nicely, but be smart and buy 2 so if one fails you still have a spare.

at 200w it is horribly inefficent so just turn it on for a water change and turn it off when not needed.

Old Dave
Fri Sep 17, 2010, 10:53 AM
Can you control output with a tap & close the tap while the pump is pumping without damaging it ?

Otherwise any recommendations ? Thanks.

You can use a tap after the pump to allow some of the water back into the sump rather than lifting it. Sort of like a bleed valve.
For such a high lift, make sure you use the biggest output fitting supplied & good quality hose to match.
Before you buy any hose, dampen your finger and rub it on the hose.
Taste test the tip of your finger. If it leaves a sour/bad taste in your mouth it will do the same to your tank water.
Pay the extra and get proper aquarium quality hoses.
And check out the other sump posts on how to avoid back-filling/flooding your sump if the pump stops.

I recently bought a Eheim compact 3000 to replace a Resun SP-6000 (2800?? lph).
I can't do a direct comparison because I upgraded the tubing, but the Eheim is adjustable and I have to run it on the slowest setting and it still pumps more. :lol: :lol:
Totally impressed, except for the international 240v plug adapter. I need to re-tune the durso & the spinner before upping the volume.

hth,
Old Dave