PDA

View Full Version : What type?

KylieB
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 12:01 PM
My mother was given 2 small Discus and I am just wondering if anyone could please tell me what 'type' they are? Also if you are able to tell if they are in good condition. I know that may be hard considering the bad quality photo!

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y379/KylieB2022/SL376989.jpg[/IMG]

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hi Kylie, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately your photo isn't showing up. Link says removed by photobucket.

Can you try again.

KylieB
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 12:10 PM
Sorry about that,not sure what happened!

http://i1031.photobucket.com/albums/y379/KylieB2022/Fish/SL376989.jpg

Merrilyn
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 02:36 PM
That's better, now we can see the pic.

The little blue guy at the back is in very poor condition. Note his dark colouring and huge eye compared to body size. A sure sign of stunted growth. He could be a Blue Diamond, but he's so dark, it's hard to tell. He may well benefit from being wormed with Levamisole, but when they're stunted like that as babies, they remain stunted adults.

The little golden coloured fish is in much better health. See how his eye appears small in relation to his body, and how he holds his dorsal fin erect. Body is round rather than oval shape. A sign of good heath, and good growth.

As far as colour, possibly a cross between a red and a golden, but time will tell.

I would suggest your mother get another 2 discus, because they do much better in a group, and with just two fish, one will always be bullied by the other one. In a group of 3 or more, the aggression is spread.

KylieB
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 09:46 PM
Merrilyn,Thank you so much for your information! It is going to prove to be very useful when my Mother goes to get 2 friend's for these little guys.

Do you recommend anyone who sell's Discus in Sydney?

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 11:28 PM
Try JMS in Carlingford or Lams at Parramatta.

KylieB
Tue Oct 12, 2010, 05:21 AM
Hi Guys,

Thank you go much for your replies a few weeks ago regarding the small 'blue' discus.
I am just wanting to get your advice. He has not improved AT ALL,in fact his condition is now worse. He is very skinny and most of the time his face is nearly white and the rest of his body is very very dark. He is not very interested in food and is bullied quite badly by the other discus. I am thinking that maybe it is time to end his 'suffering'??
If you would like a picture I will try to get one later on this evening. My camera isn't the greatest!

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 12, 2010, 08:00 AM
Hi Kylie, I'm sorry to tell you that I think it's time to take action and put the little guy out of his misery.

He was sick long before you got him, so don't blame yourself. It's really hard to pull a fish out of that downward spiral once it starts.

The kindest way to end his suffering, is to go to the chemist and ask for a bottle of Clove Oil. It's used to relieve toothache. Put the fish into a small container of tank water, and slowly drip some clove oil into the water. About 4 or 5 drops should do it. He will quickly fall asleep, another 4 drops and he will stop breathing. Place the container in the freezer and leave for 24 hours.

It's a gentle way to go

So sorry :cry:

KylieB
Tue Oct 12, 2010, 08:24 AM
Thank You so much Merrilyn,you are wonderful.
It is a sad thing to have to do but it is the best thing for him. Ill pop to the chemist in the morning.