View Full Version : New tank, old filter

tank
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 01:24 PM
I'am in a hurry (cant be helped) to cycle a new tank, setup is a 4x2x2
new tank 600 bio balls resun pump and water.Can i use my canister filter
6 months old in my new tank to speed up the process

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 01:32 PM
You can certainly add the canister filter to help cycle the tank. How are you cycling the tank, fishless cycle or are you some hardy fish.

If you use the mature filter from your old tank, you could begin adding new fish within a few days. Start with just a few fish, and gradually build up the population as the new filter begins to grow it's nitrifying bacteria. Don't over feed during this time.

tank
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 01:44 PM
i have a runt red turk i thought i could use him his in my now new quarintine tank what do u think merrilyn

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 01:52 PM
Why not go the fishless cycle method using liquid ammonia from the supermarket to feed the new filter. Still add your mature filter to kick start the cycle. It will cycle much quicker, and then you can add a full bio load of fish to the tank, and the filter will have a large enough bacteria population to cope.

Detailed instructions on fishless cycling can be found here: http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895

tank
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 02:12 PM
Why not go the fishless cycle method using liquid ammonia from the supermarket to feed the new filter. Still add your mature filter to kick start the cycle. It will cycle much quicker, and then you can add a full bio load of fish to the tank, and the filter will have a large enough bacteria population to cope.

Detailed instructions on fishless cycling can be found here: http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=895
i have read this before and iam not to comfortable with all the instructions
is there an easier way

luisprado
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, there is an easier way if you have Bio-Spira available to you. Just add the BioSpira and then add all your fish at once and you will be just fine.

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 01:54 AM
Tank, it is a fairly simple concept. Think of it as feeding the bacteria so they grow. The more food they have, the quicker they grow and reproduce.

Let me see if I can simplify it for you. Add your mature filter to the tank, now you have to feed the bacteria already in your filter, so add about 25 mls of pure ammonia. After about an hour, take an ammonia reading. We are aiming for a reading of 5. Too low? okay then add another 25 mls. Too high, that's fine, it's just more food for the bacteria.

Next day, test for ammonia. Remember we are aiming for 5.

At the end of week 1 before you add anything, test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. You should now have a reading of all three. Toss in some more ammonia (we need to keep feeding those developing little critters). Remember that magic 5.

By the morning of day 10 you should have a zero ammonia reading, some nitrite and a higher nitrate reading. Thats good, things are progressing. Toss in some more ammonia. What the readings mean is that the little critters have eaten all the ammonia and converted it into nitrite (which is their waste product) then the second lot of critters have kicked in and are now eating the nitrites and converting it to nitrates. This is the reading we want to see growing.

Within approx 2 weeks, before you add anything, you should have an ammonia reading of zero, a nitrite reading of zero, and a nitrate reading over 20.

Cycling done! Now do a 50% water change to get rid of that excess nitrate, and add fish. The fish will now provide the ammonia that you previously had to add yourself.

Cycled tank - happy fish - happy owner 8-)

tank
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 09:32 AM
Thank you so much I wish a a teacher like you when i was at school
BioSpira ? sounds too good and if it works wow magic
anybody tried this and where would you get it

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 02, 2005, 09:45 AM
How did you guess :oops: