PDA

View Full Version : White film coating tank

giorid
Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
Hi this is my first post and maybe this question has been answered before but I couldn't find any info on this matter and I'm wondering if someone can help out, I would really appreciate it.
For awhile I have had this white film coat the walls of the tank and everyday I have had to lightly rub it off, I think it's coming from the discus themselves but can't be sure and don't know why they're doing it, thanks.

lpiasente
Sat Sep 11, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi there, i am sure one of the more expierenced keepers will be along soon but in the mean time can you please give a little more information

tank temp
ph
nitrite
ammonia
water temp
water changes
Do you use a water conditioner?
How big is your tank how many fish?
How long has your tank been set up?
is there white slimey stuff comming off the discus?
I have no idea what it is but these questions might help someone to help you.
cheers
leanne

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Sep 11, 2010, 09:16 PM
Are your discus shedding their slime coat?

More info is needed mate.

giorid
Sat Sep 11, 2010, 10:51 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your replies, the water values are all normal, ph 6.5, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, temperature 30', small daily water changes about 10% are performed when cleaning bottom of tank, water is conditioned with seachem nuetral regulator, prime and aquasonic tropical water conditioner in a bucket used only for this purpose, at the same temperature of the tank water and added through the sump. Tank is a 120cm x 60 x 60 and there are 12 discus, 6 large and 6 smaller ones. There is no visable or obvious shedding of slime on the discuses bodies that I can see. The tank has been running for about 3 years. I also use chemi-pure in the minireef filter. Thanks again.

lpiasente
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 12:17 AM
mmmm ???? sorry I have no idea :( but hopefully someone else can help

Mickey C
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 02:46 AM
Using 3 conditioners seems a bit odd to me - Neautral Regulator does everything that Prime does by memory. I'm not familiar with Aquasonic products I'm afraid.

I'll assume you mix in a in a 10L bucket, maybe filling to the 8-9L mark. How much of these chemicals are you putting into the bucket? I know prime in particular only requires about 5mL per 200L of new water, so you only need 0.25mL for your bucket :)

When you've had the tank running for so long, if you've done this same routine for a while I don't think it explains your issue though. I do remember reading another thread where someone had a similar issue - I'll quickly try to find it.

EDIT: The thread I was thinking of was about new tank syndrome - the coating was a type of bacteria. The problem fixed itself once the tank was cycled. Have you made any changes to your setup recently that may have done something to your biological filter perhaps?

boxters
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 03:58 AM
Your ph is 6.5 so I'm not sure why you are using neutral regulator? Your problem is because of high phosphates in the neutral regulator. I would stop using it. The whit coating is the start of algae. Test your phosphates I'll bet they are through the roof.

giorid
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 04:04 AM
Hi,
Thanks for reply. No nothing major as been done to the filter except the changing of the filter wool that collects any waste floating around in the tank which I do every 3 or 4 days. As for the water conditioners, I use prime to clear any ammonia and other chemicals from the tap water, seachem neutral regulator to keep the ph at a range of 6.5 to 7 and the aquasonic tropical water conditioner which contains some salt and meth blue to keep tap water free of noxious pathogens from developing. All are used at the correct dosages and the fish are eating and growing normally.