PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of using a spray bar?

TheChad
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:03 AM
I have an Aqua One CF700 for my 3ft tank (160L). It's only been in use about 3-4 weeks.

I have the spray bar connected, but it doesn't seem to be allowing much water flow? I can barely feel the water coming out.

What are the benefits of using the spray bar?
Does the filter work just as good without it?

Should I be able to feel the water flow?

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:24 AM
Discus don't like strong water currents, so the idea of the spraybar is to diffuse the water coming into the tank. Yes, you should be able to feel water flow, but it should be gentle.

The filter will work just as well without the spraybar, so remove it if you don't like it.

skoom
Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:27 AM
i find the spray bar still disturbs the water so i turn it the other way against the glass. The fish seem happier with less current.

Merrilyn
Thu Mar 03, 2005, 11:38 AM
I agree skoom. I have in the past put an extension pipe on the outlet and moved the spraybar to a few cms. under the water with the holes pointed up. This cuts down the disturbance, and allows a good water exchange across the surface of the tank.

Ben
Thu Mar 03, 2005, 12:17 PM
Hi, i have seen a filter connected to the undergravel filter so it pushes the water through the gravel to oxygenate it. Almost a reverse of what normal gravel filters do.

this way there is no huge water disturbance.
only problem is if you have a bare bottom tank with no gravel!!

skoom
Fri Mar 04, 2005, 12:23 AM
I tried using an undergravel filter once and had lots of problems. I went bare bottom and couldn't be happier.

kalebjarrod
Fri Mar 04, 2005, 05:07 AM
i used to use a spray bar but as my fish got bigger i took it off and had no effect

i even use a powerfilter in there belive it or not

but each fish is different, i would always start with a spray bar

if your flow is restricted try adding a few holes to the spray bar and useing a larger drill bit

:wink: