PDA

View Full Version : fish tank and movment in house

bruceau
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Guys,

Really looking for someone who understands alot of about glass/tanks/silicon.

So here's the story, i have 190L Crn tank, i live in a small house mainly constructed from wood, when you walk about the house and past the tank, it makes the tank wobble.

im worried about the movement, how is it going to affect the joins? is this gonna split the tank ;P

not sure how to solve this one other then not keeping a 190L tank, which is a damn shame...

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 01:34 PM
Probably need some advice from an engineer to answer that one.

My feeling is that so long as the tank is dead level, it should be okay. Does the water move at all when someone walks close to the tank?

lpiasente
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 09:43 PM
I had the same problem as we are on stumps as well wilth timber floors. On the 3 ft it wasn't a problem at all as Merrilyn said as long as it is level and stable on the cabinet it is ok. The 3ft does wobble when the kids run past. When we put in the 4x2x2 my husband , who is an engineer and builder, put in extra bracing under the floor where the tank is standing because he said he didn't want to wake up with a big hole in the floor. Both tanks have been through a couple of good earth tremmors last year as well and still no probs. So hopefully that means you can keep your beautiful tank.

Mickey C
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 10:13 PM
Where abouts in the house do you have it mate? I read a website on this exact sort of thing and they suggested a couple of things.

First, make it run at right angles to support beams so that the load is spread across multiple beams not lengthwise across one or two.

Second, get it over the top of piers/stumps if possible. The site suggested that if it's hard to figure out where they are, then up against an external wall is probably a safe bet.

I have my 240L tank against an external wall across about 3 or 4 of my floor beams and haven't noticed any particular bouncing. If I find this site again I'll link everyone up!

Or you can put extra bracing under your tank as Ipia has mentioned.

(sorry for my lack of terms like joists and what not, I wouldn't want to cause confusion like I seem to do!)

bruceau
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 12:41 AM
house is in queensland far south brisbane.

tank is almost level, i see for some reason the house seems to have a small lean or at least the floor does.

the tank moves a little enough to see movement in the water for a few secs afterwords,

im thinking i could buy an acro prop and add some stability

goodoo
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 01:34 AM
My tank is 250 litres. And its scary when i have a 240 litre sulo bin full next to it once a week. second story old wood floors no dancing during water changes.

Decapper
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 01:12 AM
My mate had an old fibro house in blacktown nsw which he had 12 4ft tanks in the back room. I thought he was crazy.. Never went through the floor but always tread careful when I was out there ;)

ILLUSN
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 03:11 AM
i got a 5x2.5x2.4 on a wooden floor total weight ~1100kg, no problems, whith that much weight spread over such a large surface area it wont go through the floor, a 250L tank is barley 2 fat people a 4x2x2 is only 3, when you think of how small the foot print of a person is compared to a fish tank there is nothing to worry about. most floating floors are built to withsatnd the weight of an additional story on a house, so oong as the weight is dispersed over a big enough surface area.

bruceau
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 11:58 AM
im just worried about the movment of the tank, i dont want it to split apart ;)

goodoo
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 01:45 PM
So you reckon its time to upgrade to the 4x2x2 illusn . I think my neighbours would be quite understanding about 450 litres in their bedroom. I left a rag in the laundry sink once during washing and they were very nice when they told me water was dripping from their roof :D

bruceau
Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:49 AM
eh used to have a 4x2x2 and a 4x2x18 i gave them away when i moved to this smaller place. just no room for it..

190L is the winner.. ehime picked uptoday so im breaking her in with the 104....

larishowen
Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:37 PM
Dont worry Your house would not affect your fish tank. You must take care of whenever you are moving your house from fish.