PDA

View Full Version : TAMING AN AGGRESSIVE DISCUS AT FEEDING TIME

Ray.M
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 03:43 PM
I RECENTLY BOUGHT TWO 10 CM MARLBORO'S. THE SMALLER ONE HASSELES THE LARGER ONE, ESPECICALLY AT FEEDING TIME.
AT OTHER TIMES HE/SHE SEEMS LESS AGGRESSIVE AND KEEPS THE OTHER ONE COMPANY BUT GETS THE ODD MOMENT WHEN HE/SHE NEEDS TO ASSERT DOMINANCE WITH A RACE AROUND THE TANK.
IS THERE ANY WAY OF TAMING THE AGGRESSIVE ONE AS THEY ARE BOTH BEAUTIFUL DISCUS ?

WILL KEEPING THE SMALLER DISCUS IN A SEPARATE TANK FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS ALLOW THE OTHER TO GAIN CONFIDENCE ?

RAY

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 08:20 PM
A larger fish will pretty much always bully a smaller fish. This is one of the main reasons for keeping either a breeding pair or in a school of 5+.

The caps lock key is located on the left hand side of your keyboard about half way down.

karen42
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hi Ray Im new to keeping discus myself and I have just had this problem myself with my two Blue Diamond's Its a bullying problem which can only be solved with getting 5 or more fish as stated by BigDaddyAdo or if there is anyway you can seperate your fish by dividing your tank. Use stainless steel chicken wire, or perspex with holes drilled in it or anything else you can think off.
I have nearly lost my little fish he hasnt eaten in two weeks when they become stressed they go dark in colour and trust me its awfull to watch.
I have had to take my aggresive fish out of the tank in the hope my little fish will get his confidence back and eat again.
Dont let it get too bad before you act the problem doesnt go away it only gets worst! unless of course you have a breeding pair.
good luck! let us know how you go

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 07:53 AM
Welcome to the forum Karen. Don't I know you :wave

Is your little guy improving now?

boxters
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 11:42 AM
Ray discus are like pack animals. There is always going to be a struggle to determine the pecking order. I would let them be. They will settle. When you feed drop half the food at each end of the tank.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 08:18 PM
I would let them settle if you had more Discus in there but aw you only have 2 its likely one will get continuously harassed and this will eventually lead to its demise.

karen42
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi A Merrilyn.
umm Yes i think you just might know me!
No my little discus hasnt eaten or really moved since last week. I dont know what else i can do to get him out of the corner and eat.