PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice - gill fluke thanks

Decapper
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 04:56 AM
Hi,

Been really busy lately setup my 6x2x11/2 tank.. But I have just come home today to see my fish breathing rapidly.. Its only two of them out of three.

I dont want to just throw meds at them until I get a experienced opinion on the matter. Also what would be the best way to tackle this?

I still have my skinny mate in the QT tank starting to fatten up now but somehow have to winne him off the live black worms.

I have of course attached a video of there breathing.

I have also added a large log which is tanning the water (got it with the 6ft tank). Saying that I thought if it was the log then the three of them would be breathing rapid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS2wij4MoCI

Really appreciate all the help I get here and hopefully in the future I will also be able to help others.

P.S - ph 6.9 A =0 N = 0 N = <20

Mickey C
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 05:29 AM
As per your other thread for the poor skinny one, have you turned up the temperature for these guys? I am the least likely to help diagnose but it would sound like whatever the little bloke has finally caught up with your other two. If upping the temp and water changes helped skinny, that'd definitely be my first course of action.

Pretty please tell me you don't still use the hot water tap though ;)

Decapper
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks for your quick reply,

My main tank has been at 31c for about a week now.. Has slowly brought the red melon back to food.

I'm pretty sure it is gill fluke as I seen the red melon now have a large spastic attack then rub up against several objects

Also I treated the skinny one with gill fluke meds when he first went into the QT tank.

Take it I will have to treat the whole main tank ever 4 days I think.

Merrilyn
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 11:14 AM
Hi Decapper, well you know what I'm going to say ........... :D waterchanges

There's lots of reasons little fish breathe hard, and gill flukes is only one cause, so try the simple fix first :wink:

All these meds we put in tanks don't "cure" anything. They simply reduce the population of nasties so the fishes own immune system can deal with the problem (ask your doctor how antibiotics work). If we support the immune system by giving our fish pristine water, good food and correct temperature, their strong immune system will deal with all kinds of problems.

If we stress our fish, with polluted water, low temperatures and poor quality food, they will succumb to any and every passing disease.

You'll be amazed at how well your fish will cope with just a little help from you.

So pleased to hear your little skinny discus is eating well. Don't worry about a change of food for at least another week. Give him some time to put some weight on before you try to wean him onto other foods.

Mickey C
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 11:25 AM
Sorry if I sounded negative mate, you're obviously on the ball and already a step or two ahead of me :) Good luck, look forward to an update soon :)

Decapper
Mon Sep 06, 2010, 11:57 PM
Thanks Merrilyn,

Seems they are eating I'll stick with the water changes for now..

Its a bit strange how the red melon rubs and shakes and has even slammed into the side of the tank when he is having a fit to get what ever is on him off. But then he's breathing is fine.

There is one thing I'm sure... It will take me along time before I introduce live black worms. I prolly treat the live black worms for parras first for a week. The skinny guy has eaten me out of live food and I don't want to buy anymore due to parasites. Don't want to stave him onto different food for obvious reasons.

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 07, 2010, 07:44 AM
I like to use freeze dried blackworms for my discus. If you can't get them from your LFS then you can order online.

Try this link http://blackworms.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

We may still need to use a gill fluke med on the fish, but give them a few more days of frequent waterchanges and heat and see what happens.

Decapper
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 11:50 AM
cracked and dosed up my tank for gill fluke.. breathing is normal now and stopped flicking scratch a lot..

Going to re-dose in 4days.. any problem with that?

Mr Wild
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 02:22 PM
What did you use?

Decapper
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 08:18 PM
praziquantel..

Also I haven't seen the Red melon eat now for a few weeks..

Shouldn't he be as skinny as the guy in QT by now?

Mr Wild
Wed Sep 08, 2010, 11:06 PM
He might have been in better condition or not as stressed as the other.

How is that little fellow going? Putting on any weight?

Decapper
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah.. costing my a pretty penny.

Have to get him off the live food.. Wont eat my cherry shrimp which I have heaps.. Might try some BH mix on here.

I also noticed that the red melon is eating tetra bits.. wont touch the blood worms.. go figure!

So should I treat the tank again..?

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 09, 2010, 04:18 AM
Yes, it's important to do the followup treatment.

Glad they're all looking better :P