PDA

View Full Version : Are fertilizers bad for discus.

goodoo
Wed Sep 01, 2010, 11:30 PM
Hi guys Was wondering about fertilizers. I have a planted tank with aqua soil and mainly swords some lotus and some other plants. Are fertilizers bad for discus. Was thinking of using seachem flourish.

m.ingram
Wed Sep 01, 2010, 11:56 PM
I use seachem flourish with no problem

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Sep 02, 2010, 12:44 AM
Swords and Lotus' dont need lots of ferts in the water column as they are root feeders. You would be better off using root tabs.

Oonallee
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 01:15 AM
What are root tabs?

swampy1972
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:15 AM
What are root tabs?

They're solid fert tablets that you push into the substrate near the roots of the heavy feeding plants.

You can make them yourself - lots of DIY tips on the net for them, or buy them ready made. Dino Dung is a good one, and best of all, cheap and Australian made and owned ;)

Ghoti
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:16 AM
Balls of fertiliser, often mixed in clay, and dried into a hard form - like a tablet 8-)

You push them into your substrate near the roots of plants where the tablets dissolve leaving the nutrients locked in the substrate ready for consumption by your plants.

Cheers,
Scott

Ghoti
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:17 AM
What are root tabs?

They're solid fert tablets that you push into the substrate near the roots of the heavy feeding plants.

You can make them yourself - lots of DIY tips on the net for them, or buy them ready made. Dino Dung is a good one, and best of all, cheap and Australian made and owned ;)

Just beat me hey Swampy!

Oonallee
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:46 AM
That is fantastic!

Where do you buy them from? I had a quick google and couldn't find anywhere that sold dino dung. I have seen some API Root Tabs, are they the same and are they ok with discus?

BobbyBruce
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 04:14 AM
Hi Oonallee,

API Fertiliser tabs are not the same.

See the bottom of this link http://www.aquagreen.com.au/catalog.html for a range of fertilisers and conditioners.

Regards,

Bob

Oonallee
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:29 AM
Hi Bob

Thanks for that. Great site :)

swampy1972
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:56 AM
Another handy trick I've picked up is to get some Ozmacote Native and freeze a some pellets in a small ice cube. Push the ice cube into the substrate and then you're not left with residual clay once the fert is finished..

Oonallee
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
full of good ideas swampy :)

swampy1972
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
Many would say full of "something", but I'm not sure they're talking about good ideas... :P :lol:

FYI, I do all my a lot of reseach about planted setup and maintenance using the 'aquariumlife' website.

maxpayne40
Sat Jul 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
Just wondering myself about fertilizer, I have some anubus and swords but so far have just used a liquid fertilizer.

I have carbon in the filters so I think the fertilizer may be not as effective. Would those dino dungs be good to use as I have many a small gravel substrate with bronzies, peppies, BN, SAE and two discus.

Thanks again

swampy1972
Sat Jul 16, 2011, 10:36 PM
I'd get rid of the carbon firstly anyway.. Mainly only good for removing remnants of medications etc, but it will also remove ferts from your water column. You're better served using that space in you filter for more media.
Tabs under your swords will definately help if you think they're deficient. Dino Dung won't harm any of your fish.

xrboy_85
Mon Jul 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Dino Dung can be bought of the age of aquariums website, bought $12 a pack