PDA

View Full Version : Wen to separate frys frm parents

discusage
Fri Aug 27, 2010, 11:46 AM
I had my first successful spawn that resulted in frys. They have been free swmming for 7days now. They have decreased in numbers due to some of them died or eaten by parents. I changed 20% water everyday. Any advise on how long should i keep them with parents? Thanks.

goodoo
Fri Aug 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
It depends how good the parents are. or how good you are as a parent. If your a good parent when ever you want. When im grown up enough to raise discus I never will want to seperate the children. According to my friend Andrew Soh, well my friend as in I bought his book and read it all. 15 days.

khoadiscus
Fri Aug 27, 2010, 07:01 PM
I had my first successful spawn that resulted in frys. They have been free swmming for 7days now. They have decreased in numbers due to some of them died or eaten by parents. I changed 20% water everyday. Any advise on how long should i keep them with parents? Thanks.

15 days. When frys can begin to eat moina.

Hollowman
Fri Aug 27, 2010, 08:31 PM
Even though discus fry can be moved at 15 days like Andrew suggests, in the text where he states that, he was talking about removing them to allow the parent fish to spawn again (as in fish production in a farm, where high spawning rates are necessary)

For the normal hobby keeper and breeded, I would suggest that you keep the fry with the parents for as long as you can, or until it is noticed that the parents are getting annoyed or damaged by the fry. I have done this for up to 6 weeks.

If my buddy Andrew reads this can you clarify please.

H

goodoo
Sat Aug 28, 2010, 05:56 AM
When mine spawn i will leave them togehter forever.

Hollowman
Sat Aug 28, 2010, 07:48 AM
Not a great idea in my opinion. You have to think about the health of the parent fish and the fact that you have to manage the fry. These are done completely differently so keeping them together 'forever' is just not right. :shock:

Keep them with the parents for as long as they are comfortable, but no longer. 6 weeks has been my max. You need to be very observant of the parents during nursing times, they DO get irritated, they WILL attack the fry, they WILL eat the fry when you least expect it. Watch their mood all the time.
If you have the fish (fry) feeding well on BBS and up onto other forms of food within 3 to 4 weeks, the fish (fry) will start to forget the parent fish have been their first food source, so move them out, they will be happy for that. That leaves you free to manage the growing fry and keep on top of the high water maintenance regime needed to raise a good healthy batch of fry.

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 28, 2010, 11:01 AM

Even in the wild, the parents will encourage their fry to move on and become more independent. It's the natural way of things.

Hollowman has given you some very good advice :P

Hollowman
Sat Aug 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
Nice to see you Merrilyn :)

Merrilyn
Sat Aug 28, 2010, 01:34 PM
Nice to see you Merrilyn :)

You too mate :wave

Thought I'd drop in and stir things up for a bit :walk

Gotta keep you guys on your toes :wink:

goodoo
Mon Aug 30, 2010, 06:13 AM
ok ok I was joking maybe I should of shown that.