PDA

View Full Version : Deformity or Infection

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 07:21 AM
I am new to discus although I've kept other cichlids, and I'm just stocking my tank. One of my latest acquisitions has a lump/growth at the base and slightly forward of the gill on one side. It is quite prominent from the front.
This fish was bullied for a short while but the pecking order seems to have been sorted now. As it has taken to hiding it's difficult to check, but when I have seen this fish in the tank it doesn't seem to have lost any colour. I've checked the water and all seems within parameters there, though I would prefer to be slightly more acidic (ph 7) Any ideas please?

boxters
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 07:37 AM
You really need to post a pic so we can advise you better

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks. Sorry the picture quality is a bit dodgy.

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 09:49 AM
Having trouble with attachment which is 84.2kb
Upload error: could not upload attachment to ./files/growth-.jpg

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 10:09 AM
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/flatbadger1/Growth.jpg

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 10:11 AM
Okay, got the picture through photobucket, thanks to the forum. As you can see the growth is on the right hand side. The gill looks as if it's being held open slightly as well.

boxters
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 10:36 AM
its not a very good pic. I need something closer and from the side as well. I can say that this fish is not in good health. Its sitting at the bottom of the tank, is dark in colour. These are all signs of stress. This growth could be a tumor. It is likely that this fish would be better off put down humanely. But first lets see if we can get a better pic

Hollowman
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 02:58 PM
Hmm, better pic needed. Your ph is fine btw, dont mess with the ph. What do you call 'within' parmerters?

Looks by the poor pic, a bit dark to me, not a happy camper.

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 05:26 PM
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/flatbadger1/Blindside.jpghttp://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/flatbadger1/Sideview.jpg
I'm afraid these are probably the best shots I'm gonna get. My camera is around 15-20 yrs old and have to use flash to get anything like a clear shot. All three pics are taken with the tank lights off. This does make it look dark but too much glare with lights on. I'm looking at the fish now with the tank lights on and colouration is quite bright. Also seems to be feeding, but is far too happy to hide when given his 'home' back
You can just see the lump below the mouth in the 'blindside' shot protruding below the body line, and although it's not evident, it is below the eye in the side shot
Thanks for the advice on the ph, everything I've seen says around 5 to 7.5 so I was going to aim for 6.

Flatbadger
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 05:51 PM
Other water tests I've carried out:
Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia all at 0ppm.

Water Hardness 6.7KH

Mr Wild
Mon Aug 23, 2010, 05:29 AM
Is this a new tank? There should be nitrates unless you are changing heaps of water?

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Aug 23, 2010, 06:26 AM
Is this a new tank? There should be nitrates unless you are changing heaps of water?

There can be 0 Nitrate if you have enough plants to utilise it all. I have to add Nitrates or mine bottoms out.

Flatbadger
Mon Aug 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
This is an established tank, which has recently been planted and is being restocked with discus. The fish remaining from the previous set up are an albino bristle nose pleco, now about 1yr old, and 10 neon tetras.

I ran my gravel filter over the tank and changed about half the water before planting. The tank is a Jewel 180.

Flatbadger
Mon Aug 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
Maybe I should have done this first, but I've contacted the point of purchase and they are willing to exchange the poor little bugger.
Thanks to all who have replied on this, and if any one can come up with a cause I'd still love to know.

Ade