PDA

View Full Version : Mike in Melbourne New to Discus

mikeychdiscus
Sat Aug 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone. Mike here. After 12 months with other tropicals I've taken the plunge with discus. Got myself 9 juvenile Chequerboard Pigeon Blood. Hoping to get at least one breading pair out of them.

This site i must say is fantastic and the information in here is amazing and has certainly made things a lot easier in taking so much of the guess work out of it.

Im going to post updates of my journey and i would be glad to hear what others have to say.

Cheers

Mike

Trying to upload some pics but i keep getting an error. I have resized the pics to within the guidlines so any help here wouldbe appreciated.

Mickey C
Sat Aug 21, 2010, 10:12 AM
Welcome aboard Mike - I'm about to go down the same path except I've made a few hiccups already with my equipment selection and setup :)

What other tropicals have you owned? Are you setting up a second tank for your discus?

mikeychdiscus
Sat Aug 21, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well it all started witha fighter fish. I quickly decided that that wasnt much of an achievement. Especialy when i started looking at planted tanks and such. I liked discus initialy but was scared off by the seemingly hard work the require and the price tag. I started with a 50 gallon corner tank, set up as a comunity tank. My discs are now in this tank growing out. The planted tank has since been moved tp a 4x2x2. In it i ihave it heavily planted with CO2 and 400w of lighting.
4 angel Fish
4 bolivian rams
1 Black Ghost knife
3 corys
2 bristlenose
a fighter fish
8 black neons
10 neon tetras
3 khuli loaches

Heavey bioload i know but its all going well. the fish are loving the extra room. The angels wont stop spawning. Thank god they will never get further than that. LOL.

Once i got the hang of the planted tank it gave me the confidance to move to discus.

No doubt i wil probably make a few mistakes. There is allways somethign to learn, but thankfully nothing catastrophic has happened to me. I gues there are a few rules you have to keep with and as long as you stick witht them you wont go to wrong. thats my experience so far.

So, i have 9 juvies discs in my corner tank. Of course i wont be keeping all of them. Plan is to grow them out and get at least one pair to breed with. i will then sell the others. Hopefully imay get mor ethan one pair and i will be able to sell that to someone who is interested in breeding too.

No doubt my next few months are going to be very interesting.

Mike

Mickey C
Sat Aug 21, 2010, 10:33 PM
I'd be swimming like a happy chappy with twice the room too! That's some pretty intense lighting you've now got - almost enough to turn it marine when you're after a bigger challenge I'd think ;) hehe.

Any pictures of your juvies? Are they all one strain or a bit of a mix?

EDIT: Marine comment was tongue in cheek ;)

mikeychdiscus
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 10:54 AM
um. bit of a noob to forums so im a little unsure on how things work. However i feel like i have followed the size restrictions and file type advice but i cant seem to upload pics. anyone wiht a workaround i would be happy to hear from.

mikeychdiscus
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/Michael_Chanter/iphone183.jpg

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/Michael_Chanter/iphone180.jpg

I decided ot stay with all the same starin. IMHO i think it looks more inoressive to see a tank full of all the same type.

mikeychdiscus
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:48 AM
http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad353/Michael_Chanter/P1000662.jpg

My upgraded comunity tank. Heavily planted with presurized CO2.