PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with waste water?

Mickey C
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 01:56 AM
Just curious as to what people do with waste water, both during a water change and waste water from an RO unit.

I've decided that my worm farm will probably love having some fish poo put through it, so each water change that's where I put it. After going through the worm farm I water all my plants with it. I think it's going to be the most natural fertilizer they'll ever get! Obviously if I have to use meds as some point I wouldn't do this.

I was thinking of putting the waste water line of my RO unit into the washing machine. I did a test last night, and for a weekly change of 25-30% it'll fill my machine to medium. Sure, it might take 4 hours, but I do my washing on saturday morning any way :)

So, what does everyone else do? Considering our dam levels have only just gotten over 60% for the first time in 8 years I feel a bit guilty using too much water. Shorter showers are already a way I offset my usage :)

Mattzilla
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 03:43 AM
emplty your tanks onto your lawn or gardens... they'll love it.

My lawn is green and lush all year round!

swampy1972
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 04:15 AM
I do the same as Matt'.

Green lawns, nil guilt :D

That's a great idea for your RO waste.

Question: Is the waste water left hard or anything that may shorten the life of your washing machine pump? I don't know if this is possible but I've never used an RO unit.

I've also read of people keeping it in a bucket to flush the toilet after no# 1's ;)

Good on ya for thinking it ;)

Mr Wild
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 05:32 AM
Now that a god idea swampy a rainwater tank setup outside the loo wall and hook your toilet up to it. Very goos use.

I do not use ro water but my tank wc go on my gardens or ion the paddock for the grass to grow and my sheep to graze.

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
I use RW anyway but i still pour the old fish poo ridden water on the plants on the deck or out on the grass.

Mickey C
Sat Aug 14, 2010, 12:27 PM
Swampy, I doubt a little bit of hardness would kill a pump as fast as undiluted washing powder does. I've seen three pumps pulled out that are choked of it, and people look at me weird that I insist on liquids. Machine is 10 years old and going strong :)

And by the sounds of things, my daffodils and naked ladies should have awesome flowers soon :D

Tommo
Sun Aug 22, 2010, 11:10 AM
I use my waste R/O to feed a special drain ;)
i should use it to water the garden !

Squid
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 06:20 PM
Anyone considered growing veges from their waste water. It works a treat using hydroponics

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 11:27 PM
My waste water runs through a length of ag pipe in a bed of hydroton under my citrus and vegi patch.

They grow like crazy but 500L a day just doesn't seem enough in summer

Exotic Aquatic
Sun Jun 05, 2011, 11:56 PM
500L a day !!! lol

i also use it on my garden and even on my hanging pitcher plants

Ghoti
Mon Jun 06, 2011, 02:04 AM
My waste water goes into the stormwater drain, which reaches ground level about 2/3 the way down our backyard and keeps the bottom part of the lawn watered. . .ahhh the joys of country living :D

I like ILLUSN's idea of keeping the vegies refreshed. I intend re-establishing our vege patch this year and could easily run the stormwater underneath. Fortunately for me my waste is "only" 200Lt twice a week.

500lt daily...wow!

Cheers,
Scott