PDA

View Full Version : sponge cycling

lpiasente
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 12:15 AM
I have nuked my filters in Sally's tank with meds and was wondering if I put a new internal filter into my big tank how long will it take to cycle? Still the same time?

ILLUSN
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 12:53 AM
yep, all filters will have to wait for bacteria to re colonise.

lpiasente
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 01:38 AM
I have nuked my filters in Sally's tank with meds and was wondering if I put a new internal filter into my big tank how long will it take to cycle? Still the same time?

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. Saly is in a 3ft tank with just another teeny weeny stunted fish and some harlequins. It is her tank that I messed up the filters. If I put a new filter into my other fully cycled tank will that speed up the process?

BobbyBruce
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 01:53 AM
Hi L,

When I got in some new fish earlier this year I took a tray of media out of one of the (eheim) filters I have running on my 4x2x2 and used that in two of the old air pump type internal "box" filters. I filled the box filters half way with the media and added filter wool on top. Six juvenile+ discus in a standard four with the two boxes and no problems. They actually paired up and were breeding within three weeks.

Wheither or not you have the capacity to do the same/similar not sure but it certainly worked for me.

Regards,

Bob

lpiasente
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 03:02 AM
Yep that is what I will do, pinch some media from the canister filters. I was just trying to avoid having to open the canisters. well there is no short cuts is there?? :wink:
Thanks y'all

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 05:58 AM
Using seeded media from another filter is the short cut. ;)

lpiasente
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 06:34 AM
Yeah I know but I still have to pull the filter out from under the tank( lazy me)

Hollowman
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 07:12 AM
Yeah I know but I still have to pull the filter out from under the tank( lazy me)

:lol: :lol: YEP... lazy Leanne :lol: :lol:

lpiasente
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 08:16 AM
:P