PDA

View Full Version : background

lpiasente
Sun Jul 25, 2010, 05:36 AM
I currently have a blue background on my tank. My pidgeon bloods and melons look great against it and the green plants but the turks blue diamond and alenqulers don't pop the same. Any suggestions on a colour ( other than black) that would make the blues pop?

Eric A
Sun Jul 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
If you wanted blues to pop, and didn't want to use black, red would work, but don't know pleasing it would look for you.

lpiasente
Mon Jul 26, 2010, 09:03 AM
then the red melons would blend in. Maybe I can't win. :)

swampy1972
Mon Jul 26, 2010, 09:45 AM
Not a fan of a simulated natural rock type background?
As you've realised, unless you stick to one colour strain, e.g Red based fish, you're going to be dealing with a compromised situation at best because other than black, most other colours don't offer the same amount of contrast to each base colour.
At least simulated backgrounds let you view the fish in a more 'natural' type surrounding.
Just my 2c... ;)

lpiasente
Mon Jul 26, 2010, 10:29 PM
I know but I want it all :lol: . I think that I will try and locate a nice natural background as you suggested. i have just rescaped my tank with floating roots and some branches ( my fish are loving them) so that could work quite well. I wasn't sure if it would look tacky. I will give it a try. Thanks

lpiasente
Wed Jul 28, 2010, 01:26 AM
My lps has a standard 4ft latex rock background that has been sitting there for years and he said I could have it for $30. Only problem is that I have a 4x2x2 so that leaves me 6inches short ......bugger.

swampy1972
Wed Jul 28, 2010, 03:53 AM
That's a bargain in anyone's language..

Can you hide some of it with you scaping and plants? For that price it's worth the effort if you can blend it in.

You could set it down 3 inches from the top and paint that exposed part black on the back. The 3 inches at the bottom should be easily covered by the scape. Just a thought..

You could put someting across the back to indicate that line to see if you're happy with it, but for $30 you could afford to give it a try and resell if you're not happy.

All the best ;)

lpiasente
Wed Jul 28, 2010, 04:02 AM
I was thinking about that but thought it would be too much work. You twisted my arm I will go and get it. Thanks

lpiasente
Wed Jul 28, 2010, 04:42 AM
Ok I got it :D . There isn't any instructions with it so I gather it gets siliconed onto the back wall. Because of the cave looking things it won't be able to sit flush against the back wall of the tank it is either the top or the bottom will be sealed. I am guessing I will have to allow for the water to move around behind it??????? So maybe just the corners get siliconed on. has anyone here got a background that they have put on? Feel like a free weekend in Wonthaggi to come and do it for me? Then there is the question where do I put 10 adult discus while it is all setting...mmmmm.

swampy1972
Wed Jul 28, 2010, 07:41 AM
If you do some searching of the DIY threads here and various other aquarium forums you'll get the idea. I'd be going for a full seal though to prevent dirt and waste getting behind it and going bad.

Good luck ;)