PDA

View Full Version : Kordons AmQuel Chemical burning fish

ramblin-man
Sun Jul 11, 2010, 04:14 AM
I just recently purchased a 5 gallon box of Kordons AmQuel plus. After a couple days of use i noticed my discus were showing signs of burns, skin peeling, back fins having holes burned through them, etc. I have used AmQuel plus for several years and never have had this problem. At first I could not figure it out but after i discovered that the AmQuel plus was bleaching my cloths i knew there was a problem. i have over 30 tanks in my hatchery and all of my fish are reacting the exact same. has anyone else ever had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions how to reverse the effects?

Love Discus
Sun Aug 01, 2010, 12:38 PM
I just recently purchased a 5 gallon box of Kordons AmQuel plus. After a couple days of use i noticed my discus were showing signs of burns, skin peeling, back fins having holes burned through them, etc. I have used AmQuel plus for several years and never have had this problem. At first I could not figure it out but after i discovered that the AmQuel plus was bleaching my cloths i knew there was a problem. i have over 30 tanks in my hatchery and all of my fish are reacting the exact same. has anyone else ever had this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions how to reverse the effects?
I am no expert nor have I ever used amquel, but since you have used the product for some time, and I assume dosing is the same, I wonder if you could have counterfeit amquel? did you get it at a bargin price? I am especially suspicious because you perchased it in such bulk.

Old Dave
Mon Aug 02, 2010, 11:14 AM
Ramblin-man,

Any possibility of an accidental overdose? Symptoms sound that way.

Might be a bad batch or a bad reaction to something already in the water. Do you have any of the previous batch left over?
Your local vet might be able to help but do you know anyone at the nearest university who might be able to do an in-depth comparison?

Talk to the maunfacturer asap, but if they ask for the package back just give them a sample & the batch details.
There might be a strength change, but you would normally see a significant variation in the packaging.

Immediate treatment must be water changes.
From a similar experience the best help was clean water & salt, but the first treatment for burns in people is water.
Maybe introduce salt after a few water changes, but make sure your water isn't the problem first.

How long did you wait before using the treated water?

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20393&highlight=

hth,
Old Dave