PDA

View Full Version : Planing to put discus in ADA type tank.

sdas000
Wed Jul 07, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hi,
I am planing to setup a ADA type tank where a lot of plants will be there. Tank size is 4' X 1.5' X 2'. Is it safe to add discus in that tank? if so then how many discus I can manage?

Along with that, what is the ideally the best book to know the best of discus. I was keeping discus 3 years back. On a period of time all died. Now I am ready to start again correcting all mistakes I did last time. Doing a lot of research to get it right this time.

boxters
Wed Jul 07, 2010, 09:57 AM
i have an ada tank. They are not safe to add discus to for at least 3 months.

swampy1972
Wed Jul 07, 2010, 09:58 AM
The style of tank won't be an issue unless you're planning to run it without lids. Discus can be a but 'jumpy' at times.
For numbers, rule of thumb is to allow 40-50lt each. So if you're getting juvies stock the tank based on the their requirements when fully grown.
Any book in the Andrew Soh series will have excellent info.
Hope this helps ;)

sdas000
Wed Jul 07, 2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks swampy. Your information helps. I will put a net on the top of the tank when I will not be around.

i have an ada tank. They are not safe to add discus to for at least 3 months.
I will wait for 3 months then can I add discus? What will be the problem if I add discus before that?

SLS
Mon Aug 30, 2010, 06:42 AM
Hey Guys,

Heres an older post refering to Breeding Discus in an ADA Set-Up.
http://discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85766&highlight=captando#85766

Enjoy.

We generally advise your aquarium should be at least 6wks, and Discus are one of the last species to add when keeping a comunity

Kind regards,
George

Hollowman
Mon Aug 30, 2010, 07:18 AM
Cycle Cycle Cycle ....... make sure you have a mature filter system