PDA

View Full Version : Nematodes!!!!

marty_87
Tue Jul 06, 2010, 10:19 AM
Hey,

Just noticed tonight that my Biteaniata pair have Nematodes worms!!! What is the best and quickest treatment for these?

Any help would be great?

Thanks

Hassles
Tue Jul 06, 2010, 10:32 AM
Hey,

Just noticed tonight that my Biteaniata pair have Nematodes worms!!! What is the best and quickest treatment for these?

Any help would be great?

Thanks

There is an array of worming medications available - pick up whatever your LFS has and follow the instructions. Some meds are a multiple dose solutions and others are not.

Some Apistos are more supseptible to worms than others and wild caught fish are usually carrying parasites anyway. Get the meds and treat the tank unless you want to place them in quarantine and treat them there.

FYI: some of my Apistos I treat twice yearly regardless.

take care

marty_87
Tue Jul 06, 2010, 11:13 AM
Ok thanks will do. So because these are WC is that where they have come from or another way?

Hassles
Tue Jul 06, 2010, 12:15 PM
Ok thanks will do. So because these are WC is that where they have come from or another way?

you will never know but any wild caught fish should be treated for parasites upon acquisition.

take care

gingerbeer01
Tue Jul 06, 2010, 12:40 PM
If you want some Big L I have a big bottle full.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=152375&highlight=nematodes#152375

Over the counter fish shop remedies will not treat round worm - you need an alternate dosage. Remember Big L will knock them out but you need to syphon of the drugged wormies - bare bottom treatment tank is good.

Some say Big L knock them out - prazi to kill once out of the body. I am not sure on this - to be honest.

Worms suck - good luck.

Steve

marty_87
Sun Jul 11, 2010, 05:59 AM
Just went to my local pet barn and they didnt stock Big L but did stock a wormer that still had Levamisole Hydrochloride as the main ingredient but also had Praziquantel in it? Is that what your talking about when u say prazi? Will this still be fine to use?

Thanks

swampy1972
Sun Jul 11, 2010, 07:48 AM
Hi Marty,

I found this site last night that has Big L. Not sure if it's a good price though, never used it. Hopefully someone else can answer that..

Hope this is some help to you mate.. ;)

http://www.aquadiso.com/shop/aquashop_index.html

ILLUSN
Sun Jul 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
you can use levimenisole and praziquantel (prazi) together, severl worming treatments use both drups just make sure if using bird wormer it doesn't contain sugar, bigL is sugar free.

marty_87
Mon Jul 12, 2010, 09:24 AM
Ok so I got the above mentioned wormer Science Products - Worm Rid. But I'm not sure on the exact dosage as the active constituents are different? The dosage rate for big L is 7ml/L but that is for 16g/L and worm rid is only 10mg/ml?

Sorry not the best with working this out (I did try :D)

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Vspec
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:05 AM
slide the calc by 1000

1gram = 1000mg
1lt = 1000ml

Converting it as your suggesting, its essentually 1:1 in relation to water. Its not quite as simple as that concidering you need to factor in the mass of the material, but its a standardish rule.

1gram = 1ml

gingerbeer01
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
10 mg/mL = 10 g/L Target dosage as a bath is 2 mg/L in 1 mL of your dosage you have 10 mg, so need to dilute that by a fact of 5 - hence 1 mL / 5 L
I got confused as your dosage of Big L is wrong - it is 1 mL/7L - this give 16 mG/ mL - dilute by factor of 7 gives 2.28 mG/L - actually should dose at 1 mL per 8 L I think (but I have 1 to 7 written on my botle.....hmmm

Anyhow for yours I get 1 mL / 5 L - please check carefully - cause I am not an expert.

You also need to check the prazi dosage. Make sure that you don't overdose prazi getting the Lisamole right, or vice versa.

Illusion is right - check for sugar. sugar make birds drink it - and will give you a bacterial bloom in your tank.

Also keep an eye on your treatment - overdose with Lisamole is easy to do and can paralyse fish. Remember Big L paralsyes worms so fish can poo them out. Do it when you can watch and best in a glass bottom tank - so you can vacuum the worms out.

edited cause I stuffed up

gingerbeer01
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 12:55 AM
edited above as I got it wrong - should be Big L dosed at 1 mL/7 L of water.

Read this for more info.

http://www.loaches.com/disease-treatment/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 01:39 AM
BIGL contains ACTIVE levimenisole equivelant to 14g/L the target dose of ACTIVE levimenisole is 2mg/L

gingerbeer01
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 02:36 AM
Ahh - 14 g/L of Levisamole, 16 g/L of Lisamole HCl - due to mole calc thing in the link I attached.

Which means 14 mg/mL of big L - which dilute by 7 L of water gives bath of 2 mg/L - illusn please confirm - I think 2 mg/L, not 2 g/L for bath.

We now ned to confirm for Marty's wormrid - is the figure he quoted for levisamole of levisamole HCl - yeah?

ILLUSN
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 03:58 AM
bigL pig and pultry wormer active ingredient 16g/kg Levimenisole HCl equivilent to 14g/kg levimenisole

dosage 1ml/7L or 0.014g/7L = 0.002g/L = 2mg/L

appologies forgot the m in above post fixed now

marty_87
Tue Jul 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys!

Vspec
Thu Jul 15, 2010, 02:44 AM
Im only just scratching the surface on the host of known issues we experience with our soft water creatures, that and the currently accepted treament plans. Im talking blindly at this point as I dont know the entire scope, however from a future viability standpoint, long term should we consider contructing a vb or excel calc version with drop down boxes of various compounds to aid this type of situation. Not everyone is a born maths wiz, nor do they want to be i should imagine.

Thats if it doesn't exist already mind you...which begs the question of "why not" if we're addressing the potential issues seriously.

Thoughts?