PDA

View Full Version : High Ammonia

atif
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 09:20 AM
My problems started when i treated my discus fish with prazi . Second day i notice there colour is very black .I check my water 6.4 ph - nitrate 0.5 - nitrite - 1.0 ammonia 0 temp 30 deg .Then i do large water change now 6.4 ph - nitrate 0 - nitrite - 0 ammonia 0 temp 30 deg but they are swimming very fast even one jump out and one fish has half black face .Good thing is all of them eating After two weeks now ph 6.0- nitrate 0 - nitrite - 0 ammonia 1.0 temp 30 deg.Some of fish stop eating i add Seachem HyperSorb and purigen but stell ammonia is high and i try to put ph up to 6.4 by increasing Kh .After few hours it come back to 6 again.One beatiful bronw discus is dead .Plz help me

swampy1972
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:28 AM
It sounds like your filter may not be working for you - after your water change you have no nitrate and rising ammonia.
Keep up daily 50% changes till it settles to help take the load off your filter while it catches up.
Sorry to hear about your fish, hope this help.

BobbyBruce
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:58 AM
Hi,

If you are able to access some filter media from a healthy, well established filter to seed your own filter this may help to combat your problems.

Best wishes,

atif
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 11:19 AM
How long i have to keep doing water changes

atif
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 11:25 AM
I went to my Lfs they say's to me keep adding prime and stayability every day .Do not do water change :?:

ILLUSN
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 12:05 PM
your lfs are idiots! preheat and pre treat your water and do massive changes till the filter catches up this will be when you measure 0 ammonia, 0 no2 and 5-50 NO3. could take weeks could take months. if you want to dose prime use it at a 3-5x dose anyless is useless for ammonia and no2 even at a 5x dose its usefullness is borderline