PDA

View Full Version : Discus-friendly canister filter setup.

Ghoti
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 06:08 AM
I am wondering what is the most "discus friendly" setup for a canister filter. In the days BD (before discus) I had the intake in one corner (nice and low) with the outlet connected to a spray bar at water level to get good surface agitation and to promote good water circulation (= current!).

What is the recommendation for discus? I was thinking of a similar setup (inlet one end , outlet the other) but as they dont like current, having no spray bar (just exiting the tubing below water level) and having the inlet and outlet in the two back corners of the tank.

Is there a better way?

I have a 180 x 60 high x 50 deep lightly planted tank (roughly 500 litres) running a 1200 lph can and a trickle filter fed by 2 x 900lph power heads. I am considering upgrading the canister to 2000lph.

And if I get greedy and decide to use both canisters, what is the recommended inlet/outlet config?

I have 5 x 6cm discus and a menagerie of rasboras (10), rummy nose tetras (9), baby BN (3), gold sharks (5), SAE's (3) and assorted rainbowfish (10). I expect to add another 4 x 12cm discus in the near future (hence bigger filter).

Cheers,
Scott

m.ingram
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 09:28 AM
I if you use only one filter have inlet down one end and spraybar down the other. Have the spraybar breaking the surface as it helps with adding extra oxygen to the tank.
This is how i have it set up .Two filters one inlet and outlet down each end one breaking the surface the other facing down the back wall.
Others may do it different but thats what i have anyway with two filters

swampy1972
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 10:24 AM
Hi Scott,

There's a hundred ways to set them up. I'd advise just having a play around to see what works best for setup, remebering that you also need some circulation because you're going for a planted tank.

You could try using a lily pipe (flared outlet). They're good because the flared shape slows the water as it enters the flared area, removing the 'jet' effect. They're readily available on line or DIY.

Direct your spray bar against the wall it's secured to. It helps to disrupt the flow out of the spray bar. Along the surface is also good for aeration, but it also keeps the current at the surface, although if you have a deep tank, if you go straight down most of the current will be dissapated by the time it reaches the floor anyway - are you having fun yet? :D

As I say mate, have a play around with it and you'll find out what works for your setup.

Since you already have 1800lph in the tank, going with another large canister isn't really necessary. Your 1200lph gives you a total of 3000lph which is more than adequate, and the return flow is easy to handle than the big can'..

Good luck with it and keep the pics coming.