PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeding in community tank:

carnival
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:00 AM
I have 4 discus in a 4'x2'x18" tank, the two older ones were an established pair, the other two have just recently paired up. The new pair have laid 5 batches of eggs in the last 3 weeks, the first two batches were cared for by both parents for 24 hours then eaten. The 3rd batch, were cared for by the male, who had severely beaten up the female and driven her to the opposite end of the tank. Lucky for her the old pair are very docile and let her stay unharmed at their end of the tank. (seems the border of the territories is midway down the tank) and she recovered quickly. The male alone tended the eggs very carefully and after about 6 days the fry were free swimming and pecking at his sides, unfortunately he decided that one of the other discus was too close to his side of the tank and made a quick dash across to see him off and lost his cargo of fry. He tried very hard to locate them all but lost interest and ate all he could find. Very disappointing!!
The pair laid again at the weekend but the eggs were eaten very quickly by the female...I saw her gobble them up while the male was patrolling the boundary line of his territory.
Last night they laid again, and once again the male has driven the female away, he won't budge and is sitting tight against a huge batch of eggs this time.
My question is, what are the odds of him raising any of the fry on his own??
Can they successful rear their young in a community tank as I don't have anywhere to move the other fish too?
I've always thought both parents raised the fry, have I had the story wrong all this time or is this normal for a male discus to take total control?
Any info would be welcome.
Cheers
Peter.

swampy1972
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
I've heard of some people with pairs that only have one adult care for the young, though not the norm.

I've successfully separated a 4ft tank before with a divider and had 2 successful pairs raise fry.

If you have the option of giving them their own tank though I suggest this would be better. Mine used to spend a fair amount of time defending up against the divider rather than tending to the fry.

Best of luck and post up some pics if you get a chance.. ;)

carnival
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the reply swampy. I have thought of dividing the tank, but thought it better not to, so that the female could get out of the way if the male beat her up again.
When I got home from work a few minutes ago all was peaceful and both of them are being the perfect parents!!! This morning they were arch enemies...amazing how things change in a few hours!! I hope they continue the way the are its much less stressful for them....and for me.

m.ingram
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 07:14 AM
I would divide the tank and if the male is happy to look after the eggs let him do so .Leave the female with the other two.

Hollowman
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 08:06 AM
The new pair have laid 5 batches of eggs in the last 3 weeks, Peter.

How do you know this is a pair?? were they a confirmed pair ie: known to have produced fry, when you bought them?? People do tell lies or assume when fish swim together.

5 lots of eggs in 3 weeks suggests to me that you might have 2 females, thus you have the fighting. Discus normally only lay a batch of eggs every 7 to 10 days when in full flow, so I think you might need to clarify. Photos may help if you can post some side on shots.

hth

H :)

carnival
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
I'm certain they are a pair, as batch 3 hatched and the fry got to the free swimming stage and now the current batch are at the wriggler stage. At the moment all is harmonious, both parents are caring for the wrigglers with the male mostly keeping guard.
The older pair have hatched out fry when they were on their own in a 2 foot tank, but haven't spawned since, they seem totally unconcerned about the activity taking place at the other end of the tank and cruise around happily together.

swampy1972
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the reply swampy. I have thought of dividing the tank, but thought it better not to, so that the female could get out of the way if the male beat her up again.
When I got home from work a few minutes ago all was peaceful and both of them are being the perfect parents!!! This morning they were arch enemies...amazing how things change in a few hours!! I hope they continue the way the are its much less stressful for them....and for me.

Sounds like some married couples I know :lol:

It's good to hear they've settled down a bit.

If you're not keen to separate, do you have the ability to give them their own tanks - one pair in each tank? If he bullies her again you could either place in a barrier or remove her to the other tank.

carnival
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hi Swampy, at the moment its not possible to fit in another tank...unless I move to a bigger house, which has crossed my mind from time to time..lol
I think, now that they have stopped fighting, that I will try and put up a barrier midway down the tank.
When I left for work this morning both of them were inspecting the wrigglers very closely and totally oblivious to anything going on around them. I hope the harmony continues, at least if they get to the free swimming stage this time there will be two of them to look after them and if Dad does decide to see off an intruder the fry will have the female to cling on to.
I never intended to breed discus, I have been happy to just keep them alive, happy & thriving.
They are a fish that I longed to keep even when I was a kid at school but always beleived they were VERY hard to look after, not to mention expensive.
This new pair were no bigger than a 50cent piece when I first got them, just over a year ago,now the male is just over 6 inches from nose to the thick part of his tail and the female a little smaller & still growing. The male is a Red Turk & the female a Blue Diamond, the older pair are a Red Turk male, and Red Melon female both well over 6 inches in length.
I never get sick of watching them, I might start off watching tv but always end up more focused on the fish tank.
Cheers
Pete

swampy1972
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 02:38 AM
Geez Pete,

That's exactly how my fist experience with Discus started. 4 little juvies 50c piece size for $20ea, about a year later they were in a very basic 4ft tank with just an undergravel filter and heater, nothing special, and they formed 2 successful pairs. Apart from dividing the tank, to this day I don't know what I did?!

Same for the TV too. I had these guys and a 6x2x2 tank in the lounge room and my chair was face to watch them mainly.

It's an awesome hobby and an awesome fish. I wish you ever success and would love to see some pics if you get the time ;)

carnival
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 08:56 PM
I managed to get a quick picture of Mum caring for the eggs. This morning Dad is looking after the wrigglers, they are getting very active.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp261/carnival12002/bluediscuseggs.jpg