PDA

View Full Version : What sort of tank divider ?

steph
Thu Jun 17, 2010, 11:01 PM
This may sound like a weird question...

Im about to buy a new tank to go on my shelves - the space is pretty tight so the over all dimensions are 900 x 600 base x 320mm high. Im trying to decide do I buy one tank with those overall dimensions, or two at 450x 600x 320. If i buy one do I put ina solid divider or have some sort of removable one.

The problem with Apistos is they are so small so the normal plastic mesh style doesnt work, and Ive found as you go down to finer mesh eg flyscreen it vastly reduces the water flow and you lose many of the 'big tank' benefits.

Be interested in hearing what other people do ?

Cheers

Steph

Vspec
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 04:22 AM
ive comtemplated this myself recently given the species. Ive thought of using pvc plastic sheets or acylic & drilling small holes in the higher portion of the divider to allow at least some water movement whilst limiting fry tranfer. From observation so far, they stay towards the bottom.

Normal water flow is impeded regardless of what you do. So id be interested in peoples opinion on this subject also.

steph
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 05:00 AM
I think I just answered my own question :)

http://www.swisstropicals.com/Poret%20Filter%20Foam.html

- and there is a thread in the equipment forum too.

I reckon it would be safe for apisto fry as they dont tend to clean walls or anything like that.

Its very similar to my home made sponge filter which was literally an old sponge insert from a HOB with a hole and a airstone stuck in it

Steph

swampy1972
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 05:50 AM
Hi Steph,

You beat me to it. I posted this a while back after finding that website. I think there a quite a number of possibilties for it.
You'll probably need to be cautious about the pore size you go for - see ILLUSN's comments. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to your Apisto fry.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20854

Vspec
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 12:03 PM
yeah great simple idea, although as previously noted above, illusion mentioned he lost alot of fry

Hassles
Sun Jun 20, 2010, 08:30 AM
G'day Steph

I have a tank measuring 1500x400x300high. This tank has 3 dividers proving 4 segments. I have chosen the typical rigid plastic mesh dividers many aquariums sell. Fry 'will' freely move between segments and this has caused some issues. I have also found a case or two where mature fish have leapt across the divider. Either scenario is not pleasing. I had this tank made as a holding tank for widowed fish and estranged males but I have bred in this also hence the dramas. Whether the larger tank or two smaller ones would best be suited is a question you needed to answer for yourself. I don't regret my decision as if needed I can remove the divisions and have a 5 foot aquarium (for the dicrossus maculatus if I ever get the opportunity). Water flow is an issue but I find a powerhead directed at the divider will generate enough flow into the neighbouring segment but probably a little more than desired in the segment housing the powerhead. Sponges in each segment OR a tank length spray-bar would probably serve me better.

regards & take care