PDA

View Full Version : Eractic then dead Discus

dam-mad
Thu Jun 17, 2010, 05:07 AM
I have a friend who has recently got into Discus keeping, he purchased three fish of my fish who were all strong and healthy. After 5-6 weeks one started darting like some kind of super fish from one end to other in his 6 foot tank and died within a few days of this strange behaviour. The second Discud followed suit leaving him down to one Discus, I have checked his water quaility and all seemed fine apart from water temp which was down to about 23-24.. All the Discus from my tank are fine.

Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before?

Thank you
Dean

Mr Wild
Thu Jun 17, 2010, 08:41 AM
My discus have done that when they had parasites / flukes and one knocked itself senseless on the glass and later died.

What other fish does he have in the tank?

dam-mad
Thu Jun 17, 2010, 09:29 AM
He has 4 x Gourami, 2 x Clown Loach, 1 x large black ghost, 2 x whiptails

Mr Wild
Thu Jun 17, 2010, 09:00 PM
Oh well even the fish might be a problem.

Clown loaches are way to fast and playful to be with discus, could just be spooking them into crashing into the tank.

I think the ghost knife might be a problem as well although I have never kept one myself but they are night movers this might b e scaring the discus as well but I am not sure on this one.

Can he remove the discus to a tank with only discus? He needs to see if they settle down or keep acting strangely and then if meds are needed he will be able to administer them easily.

My view is they should not be in with those fish.
Someone else might chime in with something else for you.
HTH Kath