PDA

View Full Version : New Fluval canister

swampy1972
Mon Jun 07, 2010, 09:30 AM
Has anyone seen one of these in action? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Cheers..

http://www.fluval-g.com/index_e.php

AHC
Fri Jun 18, 2010, 03:23 AM
Looks promising in theory but I am a little skeptical. I like the sound of non-kink hoses amongst some other highlights it displays.

But my initial thoughts on the hydrotech performance monitoring is that I don't like it. Why? For starters it's a cause of unnecessary things to go wrong. It isn't hard to have a routine clean. But we do live in a world of technology so if it works, its stable and helps - then i guess why not. I would'nt rely on it.

Would be interested to see a review too.

swampy1972
Sun Jun 20, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks AHC,

I think you're right.. Bells and whistles are great if you have a use for them, otherwise you're just paying for the hype.

I just purchased a 2nd hand Eheim 2080 Pro III. It still has 2yrs warranty on it and after reading the Fluval FX5 vs Eheim 2080 review here, I'm pretty chuffed with the price I paid.

AHC
Mon Jun 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
The 2080 is a great filter. I have 2 of them running on my tank... Well, The tank is down at the moment. But that doesn't change the fact that you will love the 2080.

Enjoy!

swampy1972
Mon Jun 21, 2010, 02:38 PM
The 2080 is a great filter. I have 2 of them running on my tank... Well, The tank is down at the moment. But that doesn't change the fact that you will love the 2080.

Enjoy!

Awesome. I've heard great things about it..

Did you spend the $$ to use the Eheim filter media pack or did you go with something different? I'm just not sure if it's worth spending $230 for the Eheim stuff.
I was thinking of getting the Eheim foam pack then using a combination of Seachem matrix, glass noodles and porous clay beads.

AHC
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 02:39 AM
Your thinking sounds good.

I personally bought the eheim media packs. Of course it is recommended, but not essential. I don't think eheim put out expensive product accessories/necessities to run things like Sony for example. So at the end of the day your plan will still work soundly.

Definately get the foam packs. I also used the reusable white wool you can buy in bulk for the mechanical filtration. My oppinion is that it didnt work as well. No matter how perfect you cut it to make a good fit/seal. Even if you throw the 'reusable' away after two washes.

IMHO

swampy1972
Wed Jun 23, 2010, 04:38 AM
Thanks Aaron.

I'll weigh up the cost of doing it both ways and make my d' from there.

Thanks for the input. Good to have you back on DF. I hope your time away was good.

Swampy ;)

AHC
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 05:26 AM
Thanks swampy. :)

Let us know how you find running in the 2080. Illusn amongst others recommended it as a beast to me when i was looking.

swampy1972
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 08:13 AM
Will do mate.

It'll be a while though.. I'm stuck in East Timor with work till Aug. The upside being I've been buying up big for the new setup so lots of toys waiting for me :D

Davo
Mon Jul 05, 2010, 11:55 AM
Speaking of the Eheim 2080, in about 2 months I will have my 2080 for sale as I changing over to a marine tank. It is a great filter.

If anyone is interested Pm me.

Dave