PDA

View Full Version : Substrate Options - need opinions!!!

kristina
Sat Jun 05, 2010, 11:16 PM
I'm in the process of preparing my 6x2 ft tank for planting. This tank is in use currently and I'm slowly removing the gravel bits at a time to make space for plant growth substrate. I want the substrate to be suitable for not only the plants but the fish (discus, plecos) and maintenance. Which basically means something that will lower pH but not too much (6.2 - 7.0) and won't cloud. I've thought about Aquasoil but there is a good chance it may deteriorate and cloud quite easily. I've heard good things about flora base but don't know if it will be suitable with plecos in the tank. I've also been suggested Dupla Ground as it is "supposed" to be good with plecos but I don't know anything else about it. Has anyone got any other insight into any of these substrates? It's a rather large planting project and I want to get it right the first time :)

Kris

swampy1972
Sun Jun 06, 2010, 04:08 AM
Hi Kristina,

It sounds like we're planning the same sort of project! :) I'll be starting mine later in the year when I finish travelling with work.

I've asked about most of the major brands and for me, I think Up Aqua substrate sounds like the best option. I think it gives the best balance of performance, longevity, low maintenance and price.

It's meant to buffer to the mid 6 Ph and assists in softening the water column, making it excellent for Discus and any other soft water species.

It's a slower release than many of the others like ADA meaning less likelihood of the initial algae bloom. It should theoretically mean that it delivers nutrients for longer.

From what I understand, all the substrates eventually break down but Up Aqua sounds like it holds it form for a very long time, resisting the usual break down to mud like other brands. If this is a concern, you can top which ever substrate you get with a gravel or course sand to cap it and minimise clouding.

It also comes 'live' so it should speed up the cycling process for your filtration.

I've never used plant substrate myself as yet so I don't claim to know this for certain. This is all from people's posts that I've read from a planted aquarium forum that I visit and it sounds like the best option for my circumstance. There are equally as many positive reviews for other brands. I guess it eventually comes down to personal preference.

Good luck, can't wait to see the pics... ;)

AHC
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 05:40 AM
Other options would be Seachems eco complete - worked well for me, or (budget) making your own from scratch - lots of info on process, pro's and con's on the net.

I love watching people go through the journey. Keep us updated.

kristina
Thu Jun 24, 2010, 05:59 AM
Thanks for the input AHC - I'm using Eco complete in another one of my tanks and I've found it raises my pH slightly. It won't be suitable in a tank where I want lower pH. Do you know anything about Dupla Ground??

marty_87
Fri Jun 25, 2010, 11:16 AM
I wouldnt recommend up aqua as I'm starting to get some major issues with cloudy water in my 4ft planted after only 7months of use! I have found out the hard way that it breaks down after it starts to get older. I hear ADA is a lot better option or maybe jbl aquabasis or seachem flourish capped with sand or fine gravel.

HTH helps :)

kristina
Fri Jun 25, 2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up with up aqua Marty, yeah aquasoil is better but does still break down easily. I haven't heard anything about the jbl aquabasis, have you used it? I know I can easily look up the sales scripts for these products but I'm more interested in fellow hobbyists experience and opinions. So thanks for any and all input :)

Oh and if anyone has used dupla ground can you please please post your opinions for me. It's a reasonably priced option but I want some confirmation before I fill a 6ft with it if you know what I mean...!