PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Question

unrealshots
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Folks,

long time lurker, first time poster...

Looking to upgrade the 3' x 18" x 14" tank with UG and canister filtration to a 4' - 5' x 2' x 18" tank, as we've moved house, and have a space just made for a larger tank...

Currently, we've got a dozen big clown loaches, 4 big pakistanis, some enormous Siamese Flying Foxes, and a handful of tetras...

We love the idea of a planted tank, and I especially like the idea of sump filtration.

Am I going to have an issue with CO2 loss, if I have a sump tank?

Also, will have some loaches for sale soon, as these guys would destroy a planted tank in no time...

Cheers,

Andrew

Vspec
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 01:27 PM
hey bud, welcome to the mix.

Great news on the upgrade. should keep you busy.

As with anything, if you have decent surface agitation, your going to experience gas exchange. A sump can increase your loss due to an increase in surface area, however the gains outweigh the losses in my opinion.

As to how much, id assume its based on plenty of variables. Temp, PH, KH, as to know what level of CO2 you had in the system to begin with, then factor surface exchange rates (which is near impossible to work out without equations). Much easier to visually perceive such things based on observations & make small adjustments to the system till you find a decent or acceptable balance.

unrealshots
Fri Jun 04, 2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks mate - had a good long chat with Justin at SubScape this evening, and leaning towards one of his 5 foot tanks with inbuilt rear sump, on one of those beautiful cabinets that they have custom made.

Watch this space - there should be a journal starting soon :)

Vspec
Sat Jun 05, 2010, 03:18 AM
good to hear