PDA

View Full Version : A. Nijsenni

TW
Sun May 23, 2010, 10:47 PM
Hi Guys

I bought myself a pair of A.Nijsenni and all seemed well. No fighting, tank seemed peaceful. Eating well, no signs of sickness ..... but now I can only find one. Checked in the caves & moved around all the decor - this fish is plain & simple not in the tank.

I think the missing one is the male and I am going try to replace him. But before I do, hoping one of you could confirm that my remaining is in actual fact the female.

Thanks heaps

steph
Sun May 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
HI TW

I would say 99% girl.. Havent actually kept nijsseni myself but the males have different black markings.

I find the most helpful diagnostic feature with apistos is adult females have black markings on the ventral fins and the adult males do not. Cant quite tell from your pics but you should be able to see.

Female nijsseni usually have a big black/green blotch in the middle of the body however this can change through mood.

If it was male I would expect more blue on the body and less black on the face - do a google search on images nijsseni - there is a good comparison pic here too http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/hatchethaven/26740-encyclopedia-aquatica-freshwater-version.html (scroll to find panda apisto)

hth

Rod
Mon May 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
I agree with Steph....

It's a girl.... :wink:

TW
Mon May 24, 2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks all

swampy1972
Mon May 24, 2010, 01:58 PM
Hi TW,

Have a look at this thread, they look the same as mine. HTH

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20996

TW
Mon May 24, 2010, 10:59 PM
Yes, that's what I think too. thanks !

jkomaromi
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 06:06 AM
Hi there,
Food for thought.
1 male of mine was missing for 3 days.
He buried himself in the soft sand.
Obviously trying to escape from the punishment dished out by the other male or the one of the two other females.
They also jump!!

jkomaromi
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 06:07 AM
Hi there,
Food for thought.
1 male of mine was missing for 3 days.
He buried himself in the soft sand.
Obviously trying to escape from the punishment dished out by the other male or the one of the two other females.
They also jump!!

TW
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 06:14 AM
Sadly he jumped. Two days later the female jumped. I have had my lids fixed now!

Vspec
Thu Jun 03, 2010, 01:07 PM
You find its always exclusively from the corners?