PDA

View Full Version : Advice plz

Gerry
Sun May 23, 2010, 08:34 PM
Hi Guys...Looking for some advice!!!!! I have a large pair of discus which breed all the time,, they raise the fry et etc, BUT the problem i am having is when the fry start to leave the spawn site they seem to head for the bottom of the tank or top or surrounding glass , the parents always go fetch them and bring them back to the pot ,,the fry try and attach to parents however they just take them back to the pot then a couple of days later they all gone,,,, I have dropped water levels so the fry basically have no choice other than go to parents (less water for fry to get lost in)....I have noticed that parents dont seem to go as dark as what some discus do with mucus coat, would the problem be no mucus on parents etc etc,,,Any advice with this problem would be great Thanks :oops:

BigDaddyAdo
Sun May 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
What strain are they?

What else is in the tank and what colour?

Mr Wild
Sun May 23, 2010, 09:53 PM
Gerry
I had a similar problem and was advised before breeding a pair try and clean them up first so I wormed then defluked that seemed to do the trick for me. Not saying it is the same just what I did and what was successful.

Gerry
Sun May 23, 2010, 11:43 PM
I think she is chequer board cross pigeon blood and he is some royal blue snakeskin leopard or something both beautiful fish and very good parents...But the more i think bout it they dont go as dark as they should when breeding which leaves me wondering if they have that mucous coat they get to feed fry...I will try what you said Kath anything is worth a try when i losing bout 100 fry a time lol..Thanks:)

Mr Wild
Mon May 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
Let me know how it goes. As I said worked for me.

ILLUSN
Mon May 24, 2010, 12:42 AM
light colour discus are a REAL pain to breed, the fry just dont attach, cover the back and sieds of the tank with white paper, make sure you wrap the sponge filter and top of heater in white wool, have a small dim light on top of the tank, a 3w bulb works well.

Gerry
Mon May 24, 2010, 06:07 AM
Thanks for all your help,,will try these suggestions :D