PDA

View Full Version : Discus 4 sale Melbourne please make an offer

Munchen
Tue May 18, 2010, 11:24 PM
Unfortunately due to upcoming move I need to part with my 4 Red turquoise discus. Approx 10-12 cm. No idea of sexes but have spawned numerous times, very tame, can be hand fed. Please make an offer for the 4.

Tommo
Wed May 19, 2010, 12:04 AM
Do you have a pic of them ? ;)

Munchen
Wed May 19, 2010, 12:09 AM
yes will try to upload tonight, btw location is Hawthron

Munchen
Wed May 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
Here are some pics, sorry photography is not great, having attempted to measure the discus they are probably 8-10cm in diameter

cheers

jannie_s
Thu May 20, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hi Mate, not sure if you have noticed but some of these fish look way to thin are they eating and is poo white and stringey, can you please post bigger photos

mcloughlin2
Thu May 20, 2010, 09:31 AM
I agree, way to skinny to considering selling. If you can't fatten them up perhaps re-homing them would be a better option.

Munchen
Thu May 20, 2010, 09:39 AM
Offer has been received, thanks. Larger photos were not uploading. Yes good eaters, have not seen any weird poo

BigDaddyAdo
Thu May 20, 2010, 09:59 AM
They don't look like they should be on the market IMO.

mcloughlin2
Thu May 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
Seriously, you would have to be extremely silly to make an offer on these fish. They look like they have a good chance of dieing of starvation.

If they are good eaters then perhaps they should be taken of the market and fed up for a month before selling them.

tyson71
Fri May 21, 2010, 01:35 AM
Send in the RSPCA , they look terrible.

Gerry
Fri May 21, 2010, 02:51 AM
Any thinner and you would smell the shit through their ribs..Will offer $2.00 each and thats doing them a favour to keep them alive mate...Sheeeshhh fair go mate :?

BobbyBruce
Fri May 21, 2010, 03:37 AM
Not surprised that you haven't seen any weird poo.

Sorry, but they are way too thin and hungry to be pooing.

Regards,

Bob

Dr. Qwert
Fri May 21, 2010, 05:58 AM
Seriously, am i missing something, Are you all in on some joke. How can any of you tell how thin these discus are from those tiny poor quality photos.

scottief
Fri May 21, 2010, 06:42 AM
how can you not tell, look at the skull and lateral line of the fish they bulge out and there is not enough flesh on top and bottom half of the body as some of the light appears though the fish's flesh. :cry:

BobbyBruce
Fri May 21, 2010, 06:44 AM
Dr Qwert,

It would seem that you are missing something, in all probability your eyes.

If it is not obvious to you that the fish in the 2nd and 3rd pics are extremely thin in the upper half of the body and the front of the head in particular, then you should urgently seek an appointment with your optometrist.

The fish look somewhat like a hollow ground knife, spine obvious also. Not at all what a healthy, well fed fish should look like.

Regards,

Bob

Dr. Qwert
Fri May 21, 2010, 07:48 AM
The pictures are appearing as about 2x2 cm photos on my computer and based on Munchens comments of 'Here are some pics, sorry photography is not great' i assumed that it was for everyone.

BobbyBruce
Fri May 21, 2010, 08:20 AM
Hi Dr Qwert,

I am less concerned about the quality of the pics than I am about the quality/condition of the fish.

The picture size and the quality of the photographs are not good but I feel that if the quality of the pics was better we would be able to see how really bad the fish are.

It is not difficult to resize images so that you get a decent quality of picture for posting on this site even with the relatively small file sizes allowed.

Regards,

Bob

Dr. Qwert
Fri May 21, 2010, 10:46 AM
putting aside the tiny photo size of the picture i think comments such as "Send in the RSPCA" questions not only the quality of the fish but the integrity of the seller. i think if you truly have concerns for the fish you shouldnt be publishing them in the view of public but pm'ing the seller personally, as it simply appears that you are trying to gang up on the seller.

m.ingram
Fri May 21, 2010, 01:17 PM
Im with Dr . Qwert It does seem to appear that people are ganging up on the seller.The fish are not in the best condition but rather then making comments such as send in the rspca Give the seller some advice via Pm
dont make it public .I thought forums where for giving each other advice not cutting people down.

swampy1972
Fri May 21, 2010, 01:36 PM
Maybe then consider it advise to a Discus newbie that would buy them without realising they are poor quality fish.
I do agree that the fish should not be put up for sale, but I think the tone of some of the posts is a bit harsh.

mcloughlin2
Sat May 22, 2010, 02:16 AM
Im with Dr . Qwert It does seem to appear that people are ganging up on the seller.The fish are not in the best condition but rather then making comments such as send in the rspca Give the seller some advice via Pm
dont make it public .I thought forums where for giving each other advice not cutting people down.

The seller chose to ignore the first two comments made on the health of these fish when he made this post -

Offer has been received, thanks. Larger photos were not uploading. Yes good eaters, have not seen any weird poo

Hence why I commented again and I assume everyone else commented too.

mcloughlin2
Sat May 22, 2010, 02:22 AM
Sorry I should have made my post clearer.

Offer has been recieved

Sounds to me like someone has actually made on offer on these fish, which I find hard to believe unless the offer was made by someone with limited experiance. Hence why I posted again as I don't want to see someone spend money on fish in that poor a condition.

If the seller had taken in the two comments originally posted they should have perhaps said something along the line of "I'll try to post bigger pictures ASAP so someone can confirm if they are skinny. I was unaware they are unhealthy" Rather then say they are good eaters.

lpiasente
Sat May 22, 2010, 05:38 AM
Maybe then consider it advise to a Discus newbie that would buy them without realising they are poor quality fish.
I do agree that the fish should not be put up for sale, but I think the tone of some of the posts is a bit harsh.

+1

Dr. Qwert
Sat May 22, 2010, 06:11 AM
people who have offered can see the pictures & make an offer based on the quality they perceive the fish to be in, granted some advice could help buyers notice but when people take such a derogitory tone as a gang like has occured the opinion loses considerable credibility, especially when the size of the discus appears on the screen at about the size of a cherry shrimp.
also the fact the seller clearly isnt a breeder or trying to turn a profit, purely keeping them as a hobby & is selling as they are moving house his options are limited.
last point the offer was clearly made following the the original criticism so that could be interpretted as the value taken in the original comments by the potential buyer
as you can see im new to this forum & dont know who tends to have a good reputation/knowledge but i just believe a bit more curtesy could be shown to the seller

swampy1972
Sat May 22, 2010, 02:03 PM
Dr Q,

I agree with your point about the tone of the criticism. It did sound like 'pack mentality' and is not generally how members of this forum conduct themselves, so my apologies to you as a newcomer here.Although I must say that criticism of these fish was justified as a warning to unsuspecting buyers if nothing else, maybe the way it was done could have been improved.

I think it stems mainly from seeing a flood of poor quality fish being palmed off to new comers to the hobby that unfortunately don't know any better. This leads to them potentially having a poor experience with keeping Discus, or worse, breeding and selling fry from poor quality fish. The end result, the quality of the fish available to us in the hobby is weakened and/or new comers become disillusioned and leave the hobby.

There sometimes are unfortunately occassions where (for the good of both the fish and the hobby) that some fish should not be offered for sale and be ethically destroyed. I'm not saying it was the case here, but I hope you see my point.

Regards,

Swampy ;)