PDA

View Full Version : Discus Parents Eating Fry

mpayjr
Sat May 08, 2010, 07:15 PM
Hi,

I have a pair of discus that paired about two months ago. Ever since, the mother keeps eating the fry everytime they hatch.

She protects the eggs, but eats the fry. Even after she has eaten the fry, she is still protecting the eggs that have not hatched. It's so wierd!

On the other hand, when the father sees this, he starts to steal the babies away and protects them from her. Then they start fighting and finally she wins and eats them.

I want to keep them together as they raise the babies. Does anyone know how to help them?

Mr Wild
Sun May 09, 2010, 03:03 AM
They sound like they are still practising but if it were me I would remove the mother when this starts and let Dad take over. You will have to watch his health and start feeding bbs sooner if possible to help him. So that you can remove him and jnow they will eat. Its worth a try. Just my 2cents worth.

ILLUSN
Sun May 09, 2010, 07:17 AM
once they finish spawning remove mum, as soon as they free swim add bbs, feed 3-4x a day, once they hit 5c size remove dad so they dont pick him to shreds.

mpayjr
Sun May 09, 2010, 04:36 PM
But is there any way I can keep them together? I know can seperate the mother fromthe father, but I really want to see them both caring for the babies. If not, then I'll take the mom out.