PDA

View Full Version : WTF?? Insect ID on a creepy thing I found in my tank!

kristina
Fri May 07, 2010, 01:17 PM
So I was doing a water change and clean etc. of my 4ft tank which houses a pair of A. trifasciata and 2 peppermint bn. Lightly planted. Good Filtration, mature tank, no problems... When we see this little creep hanging onto the heater. We gave it a nudge with the net and it swam! so we got it the heck outta the tank and took some pics. I'm not too good with insect ID's and to be honest I'm more concerned that it's not a danger to my fish...

Only recently a piece of cover glass smashed and it hasn't been replaced. I have a hood on the tank but it has an open back so bugs can get in. I'm not surprised something eventually did get in but it's kinda creepy. Does anyone know what it is?? Should it be something I should worry about?

Hassles
Fri May 07, 2010, 01:28 PM
One time I found one of these in my tank. Have no idea what but 99% certain its an insect larvae. If you had fish with large enough mouths they'd have had themselves a little protein snack.

ILLUSN
Fri May 07, 2010, 01:29 PM
nymph. some kind of dragon fly or similar insect

kristina
Fri May 07, 2010, 01:35 PM
yeah dragon fly makes sense in this area... but we're talking about an inside tank... so 2 adults would have had to make it in. One I can get my head around, but honestly - this place is fort knox. 2?? Breeding? in my tank?

ILLUSN
Fri May 07, 2010, 11:37 PM
one female could have laid eggs on a plant in a pond, this plant would have been sent to a LFS and you bout it bringing in the eggs

jluna
Sat May 08, 2010, 12:27 AM
yeah, it's a dragon of damsel nymph. remarkably good at hiding, start out very very small, easily transported on plants. squish it and feed it to your biggest fish.

mitsui
Sat May 08, 2010, 12:51 AM
Im 100% sure it is a dragonfly nymph... I currently have them in my tank.. and I keep finding more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no idea how they get in there as my tank is also closed in with lids etc!! Just keep scooping them out, trust me you will find more in the weeks to come! I have scooped 8 out so far and there is still one swimming around in there that I can't catch! :evil:

They will have a go at eggs and things like that to snack on from memory so get them out ASAP!!!

Good luck let me know how you go

kristina
Sat May 08, 2010, 02:11 AM
I don't call 1.5cm small, but still! I'm glad they're not a huge threat to the fish. I will throw them in the discus tank if I find more - they'll be big enough to chomp them no problem!

Thanks for the help!!