PDA

View Full Version : Treated my planted tank 3 times with prazi. fish still flash

goodoo
Wed Apr 28, 2010, 11:42 PM
dosed with prazi 3 times . fish still flashing. My tanks planted . Thinking about getting rid of the sand and plants and using PP.Im thinking of putting plants in another tank. How long do i have to leave em there before they will be safe to put back in display tank.

rex82
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 05:15 AM
maybe not flukes, could be a toxin in the water. if tank is planted, treat with PP in a bucket

goodoo
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 05:30 AM
have seen fish rubbing there gils against objects. Seems like flukes. What type of toxin.

goodoo
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 05:55 AM
have seen fish rubbing there gils against objects. Seems like flukes. What type of toxin.

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 06:17 AM
could be flukes, PP will work at 10mg/L for 5-10min (NO LONGER THAN 10 MIN), either way your swimmng against the flow if your trying to cure fluke in a planted tank, eggs and juvines can be on the plants in the substrate as well as in the filter and on the fish, even if you kill all the flukes on the fish they'll get re infected again.

best thing is to move the fish (all fish) into a bare bottom treatment tank bump the temp up to 30c and treat with PP at 2mg/L over night every 3 days for 3 treatments.

while your doing this nuke your planted tank with prazi at a double dose every 5 days for 3 treatments and then you should be fluke free.

the life cycle of flukes varies with water temp, at 24C it takes about a week at 30c about 3 days if you were to leave the tank fish free for 3 weeks all the flukes should hatch starve and die

Mr Wild
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 07:44 AM
I have been struggling with this for quite a while on and off in one tank only. My question is can the eggs stay viable on foam in filters or as I use it as dividers even though I dry them out?

Seems when I put the foam divider back I got the flukes back! So needed to treat again which is frustrating.

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
as eggs they are pretty much indestructable, you have to force them to hatch and kill them before they breed. bumping up the temp helps if you've got no fish in the tank heat it up to 32 or even 34c and start treatment.

goodoo
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks . Im not happy with my sand anyway. Its to fine. So i thought id get rid of it anyway. My other tank is only 70 litres so moving the fish there could be a bit crowded. So i thing ill siphon out the sand. and put the plants in the 70 litre. When i treat overnight like that i need to unhook the filters right ?

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 30, 2010, 01:26 AM
Yes organic matter in the filter will reduce the effect of the PP prblem is flukes living in the filter will re infect the fish once you turn it back on again.

goodoo
Fri Apr 30, 2010, 02:09 AM
Oh the joys of fish. My blue turqoiuse makes it all worth it though.

goodoo
Tue May 04, 2010, 02:01 AM
Hey illusn. My girlfriends mum is going to measure the pp for me at her work she has scales. Got home and thought how the heck am i going to measure micro grams. What this i hear about water conditioner kills pp. and can i let it run its course or do i need to do a water change after the overnight treatment.

ILLUSN
Tue May 04, 2010, 02:26 AM
Excess water ager will deactivate pp, best to treat at 2mg/L over night, the pp kills the flukes instantly, repeat treatments kill the hatching baby flukes. generally after a few minutes exposure all flukes should be dead, the higher the conc the faster it works, you'll have to "tune" the doasage to suit your tank, 2ppm is safe for all fish, my discus tanks i went up to 6ppm over night, dosed in 3x 2mg lots. when the water went brown (inactive) i added another 2mg/l. this gave me an exposure time of ~2hrs.

awilianto
Tue May 04, 2010, 03:03 AM
Sorry for the noob question but what is PP?

awilianto
Tue May 04, 2010, 03:06 AM
Got it. Dont worry about it.

goodoo
Tue May 04, 2010, 05:22 AM
Got it. Went to sydney yesterday. bought some discus . Was a bit dissapointed was expecting the oasis of discus. Still got a nice fish and my girlfriend picked one aswell . Probably shouldnt of let her its gills are a bit flared kind of like in the chapter of andrew sohs book were he talks about what not to buy. Not bagging the shop it was nice to see alot of discus. But would of been good to see some really stunning fish. Were do you get your fish. p.s im from the ACT

BigDaddyAdo
Tue May 04, 2010, 09:58 AM
Got it. Went to sydney yesterday. bought some discus . Was a bit dissapointed was expecting the oasis of discus. Still got a nice fish and my girlfriend picked one aswell . Probably shouldnt of let her its gills are a bit flared kind of like in the chapter of andrew sohs book were he talks about what not to buy. Not bagging the shop it was nice to see alot of discus. But would of been good to see some really stunning fish. Were do you get your fish. p.s im from the ACT

What shops did you visit?

goodoo
Wed May 05, 2010, 12:19 AM
only went to one shop. Dont really want to name it on this forum. Do you know any good shops.