PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filter Question

rburrowes
Wed Apr 21, 2010, 07:11 AM
Hey Guys,

Quickone, Sponge Filters. Never used them before mainly canisters. I have the need to use a Sponge Filter for about a week, has another got a guide to how they work and when I can get them online at a reasonable price.

Cheers

Rob

rburrowes
Wed Apr 21, 2010, 07:13 AM
Sorry guys, a bit tired at the moment, what I am asking is:

I have the need to use a Sponge Filter for about a week, has anyone got a guide to how they work and where I can get them online at a reasonable price.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 21, 2010, 07:22 AM
ben at AOA has them dirt cheap @$8ea but they are black which can be a problem for discus fry, if your in sydney I've got some that are white and bright yellow that dont distract the fry from the parents.

they work on an airlift, that is air enters the filter and bubbles out the top, as it bubbles away it sucks water through the sponge, they generate very little current which is why they are so good for fry.

the sponge acts as a biological and mechanical media, as the fry get older you'll see them "graze" on tiny particals of food stuck to the sponge.

they require 2 weeks to minimum to genrate their biological activity, so if you need one in a hurry you'll have to get one thats already established in someones tank.

rburrowes
Wed Apr 21, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thanks Mate, I'm in the process of replacing the carpet and painting the house at the moment.

I have some large foam boxes designed to ship fish, from the LFS, I was going to fill them up with tank water, place the fish in there, put in a sponge filter, heater and air stone and not feed them.

They'll be living in there for about 4 days, do you think that would be OK.

Cheers

Rob

rex82
Wed Apr 21, 2010, 09:42 AM
with big water changes they should be ok.....rinse the sponge in dirty water from the filter of your tank