PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Question/Query

rburrowes
Sat Apr 17, 2010, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure if this is normal, but i'll explain

I have a community tank of about 7 discus, the problem I have, 2 have paired off, and there the nicer of my discus so i'm happy about that.

I've noticed this twice now, the female is laying eggs on the intake tube of my eheim, and as she does a row of eggs the male discus comes and eats them like pez. Once hes eaten the eggs, she'll lay another batch and the same thing will happen.

Just wanted to know if this is a normal thing and how to get around it.

swampy1972
Sun Apr 18, 2010, 01:38 AM
It's probably a combination of both them being new parents and being in a community tank.
If you can, get a separate tank (2ft with a mature sponge filter) and fill it with water from the community tank intially until they settle in.
Give them some time and see how they go. Now they've formed a pair they should start to spawn regularly once they've settled.
Keep us updated and post some pics eh?..
Good luck.

swampy1972
Sun Apr 18, 2010, 01:39 AM
It's probably a combination of both them being new parents and being in a community tank.
If you can, get a separate tank (2ft with a mature sponge filter) and fill it with water from the community tank intially until they settle in. Give them a breeding surface like a breeding cone or an upside down terracotta pot to lay on.
Give them some time and see how they go. Now they've formed a pair they should start to spawn regularly once they've settled.
Keep us updated and post some pics eh?..
Good luck.