PDA

View Full Version : Did I F Up? Nitrate spike and slime, please advice.

OfPirateMind
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 04:28 AM
Hi again from California!

In a nutshell, I originally had 2 adults PJ and DB (names) about 6" each. 10 days ago I bought 2 juvies and this past weekend I brought 4 more, they're no bigger than 2" at the moment and are very healthy and ravenous.

Since this weekend I 2 additional things happened. I switched from separate activated carbon and ammo-chips to ammo-carb which is a combo of both. I rinsed the filter with threated water of course and used the ammo carb instead. I also started feeding bloodworms, which the adults haven't had, since they came home almost a year ago. I feed them beefheart and tropical granules sometimes.

About 13 hours ago (sorry dont know what time you guys have over there), I noticed the adults have some whitish slime on the body and are dark. The juvies appear to be fine, maybe a little dark but no white on the bodies.

I tested the water and it appears I have a nitrate spike, but I have no idea why. I'm about to start changing water but, should I look into getting some meds tomorrow morning? What could this be?

Here's the info:
Tank 55 gallon, filter rena filstar xp3 (175g), temp 27C, PH 6.6-6.8, Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 40 ppm.

Hollowman
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 05:53 AM
So, you changed all your filter media?? Why are you using carbon? no need. Did you plop the new fish in with the old ?? Qt?? Temp is too low for discus, 28 is minimum. What is your water change regime???

OfPirateMind
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 06:05 AM
So, you changed all your filter media?? Why are you using carbon? no need. Did you plop the new fish in with the old ?? Qt?? Temp is too low for discus, 28 is minimum. What is your water change regime???

Just pretty much did, but I always dip new cotton in dirty water, and I guess the carbon is just habit, I vacuum every day and change about 15 gallons a week since I my filter is kind of an exaggeration and I only had the 2 big ones, I also run the air filter during the night every other day, cause the noise bugs me. The first 2 were separated in a 40 gallon for a week and seemed okay the other 4 were just added in.

Would new fish spike Nitrate?