PDA

View Full Version : some help i.d'ing a new fish

jluna
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:26 AM
hi dwarf-keepers,

i was lucky enough to stumble upon what i believe is a. bitaeniata - can anyone confirm for me?

Hassles
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:55 AM
Looks like a bitaeniata male to me :-)

how does one stumble upon such things me asks ?

take care

kristina
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:59 AM
looks identical to my bitaeniata "blue" which surprisingly has quite a bit of yellow on him. I sourced mine from fishchicks in brisbane not long ago and the pair are courting. I'm about to post a pic of mine at the photo section... If you are interested in comparing yours to mine.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19871&start=80

kristina
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 04:08 AM
upon a second look at my guy, yours is much more blue/opaque whereas mine has exceedingly more yellow. Yours is most definitely A. bitaeniata but perhaps not the exact same colour strain...? Or if it is the same strain it has slightly different traits to mine. Gorgeous fish. Congrats on the "find"

jluna
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 05:41 AM
one finds it among a group of agassizi...i had to keep myself restrained in the shop! i was pretty sure of the id, but just wanted a confirmation before i start the hunt for females - speaking of which, hassles... do you know where i might start looking?

Hassles
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 07:39 AM
one finds it among a group of agassizi...i had to keep myself restrained in the shop! i was pretty sure of the id, but just wanted a confirmation before i start the hunt for females - speaking of which, hassles... do you know where i might start looking?

I would call Fish Chicks in Qld and ask if they have any left. OR you'll have to wait for Kristina or myself or other forum members to breed theirs. Hmm, I think I saw some at my LFS - I will call them and get back to you.

take care

kristina
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 08:15 AM
Fishchicks a good idea. Don't hold your breath for mine to breed... Female knows what to do but the male ain't the brightest spark. Maybe Hassles needs a push to breed his... Something tells me having a few more tanks of fry is just what he needs :P hahaha!

steph
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 03:42 AM
Hi Justin

Thats a very nice fish to "stumble" across. Lucky thing ;)

Good luck in your hunt for a female.

As there are different colour strains of A.bitaeniata I would go back to the shop and ask if they have the collecting locality for the agassizi and see if you can match the bitaeniata strain. More chance of breeding success that way.

cheers

Steph

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 05:56 AM
Where did you stumble across it?

jluna
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 06:57 AM
thanks for all the tips folks - have called jodi at fishchicks and ordered two females, arriving thursday. i got the male at my local fishshop - literally a ten minute walk from my house, i'm there all the time... the name is aquaristic and billy, the owner, is a champion. he's sourced all kinds of fish for me and his shop rocks. great variety and quality. it's in beaconsfield, 1km up the road from green square train station.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 09:14 AM
I agree. Its a great shop. Aquaristic and B&C are both great.

kristina
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 09:03 PM
What strain did you order from Jodi-Lea? Just out of curiousity...

Hassles
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 08:35 AM
hi dwarf-keepers,

i was lucky enough to stumble upon what i believe is a. bitaeniata - can anyone confirm for me?

I hope you're gonna' upload this image to the dwarf cichlid photos section - for all to enjoy ;-)

jluna
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
hi kristina, she had wild and tank-bred - i ordered wild to match my fella.

hassles, i think i might take some more pics and upload - i have a very sexy wild agassizi boy too! my apisto empire is almost complete (insert manic, evil laugh) :D

Hassles
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 11:17 AM
my apisto empire is almost complete (insert manic, evil laugh) :D

huh :?: - not possible - heh heh heh :wink:

kristina
Wed Apr 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
I would be surprised to find anyone who has enough apistogramma.

Robdog
Thu Apr 15, 2010, 03:38 AM
I would be surprised to find anyone who has enough apistogramma.

Spot on Kristina :lol:

jluna
Thu Apr 15, 2010, 09:57 AM
yeah, you're right! let me clarify - without adding more tanks, my apisto empire is complete! :twisted:

kristina
Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:47 AM
Ahahahahaaaa! I have constant debates in my head whether or not to add more tanks. I currently have one spare but want to leave it open as an emergency tank.
Hubby however is convinced we need more tanks and is bidding on an 18 tank rack on eBay..

jluna
Fri Apr 16, 2010, 11:42 PM
oh for a husband who wanted more tanks!! if i was single it would be a different matter - in the future we'll hopefully have space for a shed/fish-room. until then, 4 will have to do.